PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Proteins Crystals

MeisterJ3D
26-03-2009, 01:43 PM
I have an automated pipetting machine i use for dispensing protein solutions.

I am building an enclosure to keep the dust and drafts off, but inside i need it to have a high relative humidity (higher the better, but >60%, which all else failing i can achieve with a desk top humidifier linked to a sensor/switch). The samples would ideally be kept cold by chilling the air inside the enclosure to something approaching 4degC.

Can anyone recommend anything thing more aesthetically pleasing than taking an old domestic refrigerator and cutting the back off, and gluing it to the side of my enclosure? (Max volume 2m^3, and potential much smaller).

TRASH101
26-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Can anyone recommend anything thing more aesthetically pleasing than taking an old domestic refrigerator and cutting the back off, and gluing it to the side of my enclosure? (Max volume 2m^3, and potential much smaller).

Easy.......... Get a polythene isolater (you can get them with HEPA in & out and pre-stitched gloves) then link air out to air in via an AHU with fresh air make up. Make sure you get one that can dehum as you only need 3 grammes water per Kg of dry air for 60% rh @ 4 c (considering 60% rh @ 22 c has 10 grammes per kg)