PDA

View Full Version : NH3 education

IceMan_4000
25-03-2009, 08:45 PM
In this time of increasing energy demand a push for better refrigerants should we not look at the natural

http://www.ammonia21.com/files/news/T396.pdf

Just a good article on how safe is NH3

Pooh
25-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Unfortunately there is a real issue with the fact ammonia is toxic and explosive with the un-educated amongst us. A large part of the refrigeration industry do not realise that the halocarbon refrigerants are more dangerous to us and the environment than HN3 purely on the basis that as you can smell ammonia you do not let it leak and if it does you mend it quickly cos people complain. From information I have I understand that actually more people are killed by halocarbons each year than ammonia.

And ammonia is far more efficient and environmentally friendly.

Pooh
An ammonia lover

US Iceman
26-03-2009, 12:24 AM
The stink and the hysterics play a big part in demonizing ammonia as a refrigerant. People think the halocarbons, etc. are so safe and many have never read a material safety data sheet on any refrigerant.:mad:

I'll take ammonia anytime.

chilldis
26-03-2009, 01:13 AM
I have to agree with the group, ammonia is the "green" refrigerant. with intense education the general public can be brought to see this.

brian_chapin
26-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Just a good article on how safe is NH3

A bunch of great articles on that site. Thanks so much for the link.

Magoo
15-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Hell I have been preaching the advantages and efficiency of ammonia for decades, OK a bit harsh on us humans, but totally eviro-friendly. The beurocrats legislate it into the realm of large end users, with all the OSH un-friendly stuff attached. When I started in industry many decades ago, there were still methyl chloride and sulphur dioxide domestic refrigerators around, OK I'm old. The consumer resistance comes from the smell and lethal-ness factor.
What is worse than karking it from skin cancer or runny eyes, generally with ammonia people run at blister speed away from it, follow me with large and rapid step is my advise

GrantD
19-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi guys,

Lets face it, the stink of ammonia keeps it a mystery. Keeps the cowboys away!

grant

coldman
21-07-2009, 09:49 PM
This quote from the paper pretty much sums it up .

"Persons lacking expertise and experience of ammonia have no right forbid its use".

Clk320_Greg
21-07-2009, 10:12 PM
i have no experiance of amonia but would love to learn, whats the best way to do this do we think?

IceMan_4000
22-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Work on an NH3 system with someone willing to help you learn

Josip
22-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi, US Iceman :)

The stink and the hysterics play a big part in demonizing ammonia as a refrigerant. People think the halocarbons, etc. are so safe and many have never read a material safety data sheet on any refrigerant.:mad:

I'll take ammonia anytime.

... agree with each your word...

.... in my opinion the big role in all what happened is profit ... actually exact word is greed ... Companies producing halocarbons attack ammonia because it is the best way to promote own products ... unskilled and misinformed people, unfortunately are taking that as the truth ...

I have a feeling that our children will heritage devastated world, because we dare to go over all limits to make profit ....

Best regards, Josip :)