PDA

View Full Version : Slava

Slava
11-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Is there a real thing to get a job as Refrigeration Engineer in the UK if I am from Lithuania (new member of EU)?

frank
11-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi Slava

Do you have any refrigeration skills?

Slava
11-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi Frank! Yes I have because I work as Ref.Eng. during 12 years.

frank
11-05-2004, 09:02 PM
As there is a shortage of experienced engineers in the UK then I don't see how you could fail. We are constantly trying "engineers" who apply for a job but all we seem to get are wannabe's. Talk a good talk but fail to show any real skills or experience. We just had one "engineer" who, during his first few weeks with us:
put R407C gauges on a R22 system (could not see any wrong in that) :eek:
Rang to ask "what is wrong with this system?" -- what pressures do you have? he was asked-- don't know, haven't got the gauges on. :eek: --What temperatures do you have? -- don't know, he say's, haven't taken any :eek:
During an install he added nitrogen to a system to strength test and raised the pressure to 150psig, left it over night then released and said " it was fine so I added refrigerant and switched on" :eek:

Do I need to go on?? Don't think so as he is now looking for another job and I'm saving wages ;) You've got to blame the NVQ way of teaching.

Slava
19-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Dear Frank, I understood you. But how can I show my skills if I am in Latvia now? I've experience in installation of compressors packs( reciprocating, screw), blast freezers, cold stores, split A/C, commercial ref. systems, solder copper (copper/metal) pipelines and fittings and in service/ maintenance of these equipment. I have basic electrical skills. I also can give you a reference contact of previous or current employment. Are these good skills to get a job in the UK?

frank
20-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Sure sounds like it Slava. Anyone who has the confidence to put up references must have at least the basic skills and experience and is not afraid of what the prosective employer will learn from these references.

How do you plan to get immigration and work permits organised? Do you have somewhere to live? These things cannot be taken on board by the prospective employer.

Frank

Slava
21-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi Frank ! Thank you for your advice. I can work without Work Permit in the UK because I am the citizen of Lithuania which is a new member of Europian Union from 1 May, 2004.
I plan to rent a flat where I get a job.

I saw in internet that one can rent a floor space
for 300-400 pounds per month. Is this a real thing?

Slava.

chemi-cool
21-05-2004, 09:24 PM
hi slava / frank

you can get some useful information here http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/hpg.htm

chemi :)

Slava
31-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Hi Chemi!
Thank you for information and advice.
Slava.

Abe
31-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Being a strategic thinker, I always wonder about these things....ie: the nature of the industry in years to come.

Accepted, we face a skills shortage. Will we see an influx of East European nationals arriving at our shores to fill the void.

I guess we will only know in time how they fare. Im keeping an open mind, good luck to Slava, should you decide to come here.