PDA

View Full Version : ac and ref engineer basic knowledge

mjpaolo
25-03-2009, 09:29 AM
i'm a graduating ME student and i want to pursue ac and refrigeration as a carrer. can you tell me what are the basics i need to know aside from vapor compression cylce and stuffs??

taz24
25-03-2009, 05:16 PM
i'm a graduating ME student and i want to pursue ac and refrigeration as a carrer. can you tell me what are the basics i need to know aside from vapor compression cylce and stuffs??

It does depend on your level.
Level 2, basic level or ME level, basic level?

You need to Know about

Heat transfer
Thermodynamics of fluids
Oils
Electrical and electrical controls
Electronics
Inverters
Power consumption
Different types of compressor
Pipe sizing and design
Component selection
Brazing
Health and Safety.
I'm sure there are more but that lot will keep you going for a few days :D

Cheers taz.

MIT
19-04-2009, 02:07 PM

you just need to be hard working and flexible. there's lots of problem other than the theory that our professor teach us.

dougheret0
20-04-2009, 10:28 PM
you just need to be hard working and flexible. there's lots of problem other than the theory that our professor teach us.

There are three references you will need to work in AC and refrigeration. One is the ASHRAE handbook -Fundamentals. A new issue is out this year. If you join ASHRAE, which I would recommend, you will receive one handbook per year as part of your memebership fee.

Two other essentials for a practicing ME in any field are Machiniery's Handbook and Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.

If you want to learn how to design HVAC systems for small commercial buildings you can download my book
HVAC Design Manual – A Mechanical Designer’s Guide to Design of Small Commercial and Institutional HVAC Systems
for free at my web site, which I can give you if you contact me at doughert@nettally.com.