PDA

View Full Version : Jointing compound on Gaskets.

monkey spanners
22-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Hi guys,

I fitted a rebuilt prestcold compressor about 5 months ago, got called back as system was slow to cool.

What i found was the head, electical plate and motor end plate gaskets where all leaking :eek:

Rebuild peeps have sent a gasket set out, now what i'm wondering is, is it worth sticking some of that blue Hylomar or similar stuff on there when i've got it all apart, system is on R134a and ester oil.

Had been called back a few days after originally fitting the comressor when the oil sump plug leaked...

Confused and not wanting any more call backs,

Jon :)

Grizzly
23-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Hi MS
You would be better off making sure the joint faces are Immaculate (or as best you can get them.)
And as you fit the gaskets oil up both faces Using the system oil.
Also it might be worth checking but some manufacturers have changed the type of gasket material for 134a and the like?
Sorry I can't be more specific.
Grizzly

albionharley
23-03-2009, 04:06 PM
You shouldn't need to use any type of sealant.
To be honest i'd be sending it back under warranty.

monkey spanners
23-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Cheers guys, i think this will be the last rebuild i get from these peolpe.

Never had a problem when prestcold did them themselves, they seemed to be as good as new then.

I did wonder about getting a replacement compressor but with the mileage to site and taking the old one back (wholesalers have shut nearest branch) i though it would be cheaper for me to just change the gaskets.

Best of a bad job really :eek:

GHAZ
23-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi monkey spanners on ester oil use metal gaskets or beaded gaskets other wise after a couple of months they start to weep

Magoo
05-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Definitly use hyloma on new gasgets, available in spray cans.
Any reputable after market parts supplier will send pre-treated gasgets with it on. I do recommend hyloma. Good product.
Had the privaledge to meet the old bloke that developed it, during WW2 and sold out to RR. Incidently RR use it every where, is that a reference or what.
He drank like a fish, cool guy.
magoo

glenn1340
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I prefer loctite on gaskets, never had any leaks if the faces are fully cleaned. Loctite 510 is excellent on face to face flanges, very pricey though.

monkey spanners
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Cheers guys,

The rebuild people have sent me a new compressor so in the end i didn't need to use any sealant, but i have a tube on the van now so it may get used in the future if i run into problems with other stuff.
Or i may find a use for it on my lorry :D

Cheers Jon

djbe
25-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Some of these rebuild companies don't torque everything up to the correct value either. Or tighten in the correct sequence.

This little detail can make a big difference.