PDA

View Full Version : Ingersoll Rand

Abe
09-05-2004, 09:18 AM
One of my customers asked to me to look at his Truck freezer unit.
Ingersoll Rand
Model TS - 500
Smart Reefer

Driver says system comes down to -15C, then goes into defrost, then keeps tripping.

I had a look at it. Refrigerant charge is fine. Cant see anything obvious.

Can only think about checking the parameters on the Thermoking, thermoguard digital controller in the cab, driver may have played around with the settings.

Where can I get hold of a manual on setting /checking parameters.

I normally dont like getting involved in transport refrigeration. If any member lives within striking distance of Leicester and is keen to take on this customer, be my guest.

He has around three of four vehicles with refrigeration. But in the short term I will try help him out with this one. Any help anyone can give me . I think changing the filter might help. Its a special filter and can only buy from Thermoking.

Latte
09-05-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi Aiyub,
When you say it keeps tripping what exactly do you mean.
Any fault with a smart reefer and the display should start flashing with a code number, if you could tell us that number it would help.
SR don't normaly suffer fom DF problems, mostly are due to driver error.
The most common is running the unit when the back doors are open, this does couse them to ice up quickley and go on defrost, also the state of the load is very important, for instance if it is wet/damp ect.

When you say about filter i assume you take about the drier, obviously these are redaly available from MTK but as far as i am aware there is nothing special about them and an HRP/NRS one should be fine (Sorry Jon).

Start with the fault code and go from there. Just to warn you if you get a fault code list some overcab units have differrent codes to the trailer units.
I will go and have a look for a list, in the meantime Reeferjon or MRW are more up to speed wih these than i am and might know of a common fault.

Another common fault, Check engine oil & water. Drivers tend not like climbing up onto their cabs to check them, low on either will cause the unit to cut out. If these are ok, check the belt tensions, loose belts can cause fault code to show.

Regards

Raymond

babsnsarah
09-05-2004, 10:48 AM
hello Aiyub
Also would be an idea to check air switch settings for the defrost cycle. As a rule the TS alweays had the wrong settings from factory. Too Low.

Latte
09-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi All,
What a pain in the backside TK airswitches were. Always used to carry them but quite often wouldn't have magnahelic gauge to set them up.
They used to come with the adjusted screw sealed with wax, is his still the case. Usually they would be set at about .8 and bring on the defrost too early. To answer for Aiyub, i think they should be about 1 for that unit.
It doesn't take much to be out on these to mess up the defrost system.
I much prefer the system on the new Vectors where the air on/off probes control the defrost.

Regards

Raymond

Reeferjon
10-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Ray, yep 1" about right ish.
yep air switch seems to be the at the last stand on truck units, they have all but disapeared off everything else, so I guess w'ell wait and see whta happens with the new controller.

Spoke to MW this week??!!

Aiyub, have you sorted your issue?
John.

Reeferjon
10-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Babsnsarah.
Tony you have a PHD, a Bsc and all you can come up with is...... ;)

Abe
10-05-2004, 07:07 PM
Sorry Reefer.........I havent been to this unit yet
But I have taken everything in, will report back asap

Latte
10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
Hi Jon,
Havn't spoken to principle engineer for a couple of weeks now. I can't believe he is busy, will try and get hold of him later in the week as i have a few issues to chase him about.

Spoke to him about the training one, will they ever learn.

About time TK got rid of those airswitch's, pain in the rear end.

Regards

Raymond

babsnsarah
10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
John.
well at least i came up with something usefull to look for, by the way found those missing certificates i was looking for, i had them all the time in the van.
speak later
Tony T

Reeferjon
11-05-2004, 07:43 PM
:rolleyes: Dumb ass.
I would expect better from you LOL, I suppose it was under the pile of bulletins you never got, under the manuals you never recieved and under the pile of Jaz mag's you forgot were there LOL.
:p