PDA

View Full Version : fridge warm freezer cold?

babsnsarah
08-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Hello.
Sorry if this sounds daft, my fridge freezer has a problem. Fridge is warm but freezer is -20c. Thermostat operates ok( compressor starts + stops). Is this an easy replacement of fridge t/stat or should i be looking at more indepth problems. Evap in fridge cool but not cold + stays around +12c.
I normally work in transport refrigeration so im at a bit of a loss. Any help appreciated. :confused:

Indesit fridge/freezer

chemi-cool
08-05-2004, 02:53 PM
is this a fridge with two compressors?

is it a nonfrost?

some more information is needed.

chemi :confused:

Latte
08-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Babsnsarah,
As Chemi says, we need a lot more info. Make & model might help, no of comps, gas, any evap fans ?.

By the way, if you are a transport engineer check out the "mobile" section.
Are you from a TK or Carrier backround or like most of us done both.

Regards

Raymond

bernard
09-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi there

I am not a domestic engineer but did a domestic course about 4 years ago ,from what I can remember your fridge freezer operates of one stat.
Your freezer relys on your fridge section operating the compressor.A problem a lot of people have is when they put there f/freezer in the garage over winter the fridge never rises above 5C so the freezer does not operate and rises to the same temp as fridge.

So I would guess your T-Stat is out of calibration and operating around 12C instead of 5C.
N.R.S do an equivilant stat I thinks Its a VL9 but check with them

babsnsarah
09-05-2004, 10:37 AM
sorry should have thought of more info required.#
indesit fridge/freezer model CG1269NR
running on r134a. 240v. Auto defrost on 1 compr. no evap fans just back wall evapr.
I am in marshall thermoking at present but could be persuaded to move over if the right job comes along.

Latte
09-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Babsnsarah,
There are quite a few jobs in the jobs database. Which area of the UK are you in and maybe we can give you a lead.
What sort of area are you looking to go into. Industrial (ammonia), Commercial (Supermaket type).

Regards

Raymond

babsnsarah
09-05-2004, 01:39 PM
hey Raymond
thanks for the responce, i'm living in swindon, wiltshire. Probably looking at the commercial side of the job. So if you here of anything good going on down in this region, please feel free to get back to me

thanks Tony T

chemi-cool
09-05-2004, 05:27 PM
hi tony,

one more question, do you have one thermostat for frige/freezer or is it two, one for each.

R134a tends to block cap tubes and filters. try to feel the pipes at the back for abnormal temp.

basicly, most of the pipe work is inside the walls so its impossible to check there.

by the way, indesit is the twin brother of ariston, bouth names of one italian manufacturer.

how does it defrost automatic if no evaporator fan and heater exist?

let me know what you've found.

chemi

johnl45
28-05-2004, 05:11 AM
Most refrigerators I’ve seen have an evaporator fan check the defrost system for proper operation.

AZboyinWI
11-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Greetings All! (from across the pond)
Babs, I can offer a suggestion. It sounds like you have a plugged defrost drain line. This is where the water goes to in the bottom of your freezer when it goes through the defrost (removal of ice from the freezer coil) cycle. It sounds like that hole is plugged and now the water/ice has now frozen in the vent that lets air circulate down into your refrigerator compartment. What I usually do in this case is to unplug the refrigerator, empty out the freezer compartment. Usually I also end up either pulling off the back panel or the bottom panel (in the freezer compartment) Looking for that defrost drain hole and thawing it out with a heat gun (be careful of melting plastic) or actually I use a hair dryer. I can sometimes do this also by pouring small amounts of HOT tap water onto it and then sopping/absorbing it away with a sponge or dishcloth. I repeat this until I get the water to go down the drain tube. I hope this help everyone. I also go to a forum called www.hvac-talk.com. So along with this site and the other I think I'll come across a lot of expertise to help me in my daily toils. LOL. I look forward to chatting with everyone. Let's see if we can learn from each other.

AZboyinWI
11-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Greetings John. Somebody else from my side of the ocean. Fantasic!

Jasper
12-07-2004, 06:50 AM
This type of F/Freezer operates on 1 thermostat that senses the evaporator temp in the fridge / high temp section, if the F/Freezer is short of gas the freezer will still reach its correct operating temp but the fridge section will not cool, check to see if the compressor is running permanently, if it is then i would suggest you recover the gas, weigh it and re-charge to the correct amount that should be printed on the manufacturers label. :)

coolkev
17-11-2004, 07:48 PM
:cool: trying to be more positive! Sounds like a moist cold ref manual defrost freezer, humidy plate evap in p/c. These quite often have an off cycle heater which is in parallel with t/stat uses comp. windings for return. It is sometimes wrapped around plate edge or behind plate , if it is open circuit it will cause too long off cycles. If plate is not frosting at all while comp is running it sounds like restriction or S.O.G. unfortuantly alot of pipe work is often inside walls and inacessible. If it has hot gas mullion heating this is a commen leak point as alot of manuf. use steel pipe and as some water gets into liner they rust out. they can be disconnected will slightly reduce cond. add extra if concerned also will cause cab. to sweat in humid conditions.

rbartlett
17-11-2004, 08:42 PM
sounds like a bin job either way..

cheers

richard

p.s it's short of gas....

johndory7
13-06-2009, 06:43 PM
hi. i have a similar problem to the previous person. i have a zanussi zx99/5 frost free fridge freezer. the freezer part seems to be working fine but the fridge is warm. I used ice and a hot damp cloth to test the temperature probe/thermostat and the small air vent door that lets cold air into the fridge does open and close. however the cold air from the freezer is not getting up into the fridge. The fan seems to come on sometimes but does not stay on and let cool air in. Does anyone think this is simply a fan problem or a thermostat one (i assume the two are connected and that when the air temp rises to a certain level the vent door opens and the fan also comes on) i also noticed when i pulled the condenser unit out that it was badly frosted up- could this be caused by the fan not working? any help would be most appreciated.
thanks

The Viking
13-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Wow, must be a record for the oldest resurrected thread...

Johndory7,
As you say it was badly frosted up, this could block the airway so no air is transferred even when the fan is running and the damper open.
Have you tried to leave it unplugged with the doors open overnight?
If it works after that then you know there is an issue with the defrost cycle, if not then there is some other issue with the air circulation system.

Good luck

Magoo
14-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Sounds short of gas to me, as freezer section is first feed , fridge section last. If cold plate in fridge section not freezing and freezer is OK , you have a system short of gas. Rip all covers off fridge section plate and check it out, the plate temp at thermo buld area should be -28 ish if static air flow.

jsimon
28-06-2009, 09:26 PM
you may think theres a fan in the fridge
I was wrong the fan is in the freezer
there is a damper behind a cowling not a fan
the damper moter opens when cooling is required to the fridge
the compresser is only on demand to the freezer
the fan starts when the cold air from the freezer is sent to the fridge via the damper
and the freezer temp rises

Helpman
28-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Easy one
Let you Freezer de frost for about 24 hrs then go to the backof the unit and you will a pipe in the end of the pipe is a pastic stopper there is a small hole in this and it gets blocked The best way to cure this is pull it out and a certain amount of water will come out put the pastic plug back and with a small screwdriver make another small hole in it

michaelog193
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Hello everyone
Non-technical newbie here. I have an Ariston F/F where the freezer is working OK but the fridge doesn't work. I looked for serial numbers etc and couldn't find any. There are two compressors at the rear and both feel warm. One is labelled "NECCHI ETR 5 R134a 50044 ECO SYSTEM". The other differs slightly "...ETR 5.5 50054". The thermostat seems to be clicking in and out as you'd expect. I wondering whether to scrap it of pay to get it mended. It's second-hand, stainless steel and I guess it's 5 to 10 years old. I wondered if it might be low on gas. Any suggestions/recommendation on what to do?
I appreciate your time reading this and for any replies I get. Best wishes.
Michael

coolhibby1875
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
there is a sensor measuring suction temperature and when it gets to a certain temperature the fan kicks in and the air is expeled up into the chill compartment, i have come across this loads and its normally always a probe fault

michaelog193
06-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks coolhibby
What does this sensor look like and how can I test it?
Cheers, Michael

NeilB
26-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi I think I have the same problem here. I have an integrated under counter fridge with a top freezer section. The freezer is section is cold and has frost. The top shelfs of the fridge seem cold-ish. But the bottom half seem warm with my milk going off after a couple of days. Its an Ariston SN 504273050. With it been integrated everything is screwed in all over the place - Time to rip out and replace?

tonto33
26-04-2011, 05:55 PM
you will need to regas it

Rita Ribs
29-04-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a Samsung rb1944sl that is doing the same thing. It has been cleaned thoroughly, defrosted and unplugged, emptied and the coils vacuumed, during storm it was off for over 2 hours. The fan seems to be working, as well as the compressor. It seemed to work again after all that, but then again back to square one within 24 hours. What is going on? Is there another fan? I checked for blockages of ice or food, nothing. Neither fridge nor freezer seemed overly dirty, but was full of food. Now it was cleaned top to bottom, and fridge emptied of spoiling food, and still, not one drop cooler than 47F degrees. Freezer will cool down to -10F if set to that, although owner keeps it at 8F degrees. Whats up with this? Two things happened, tornadoes and severe thunderstorms blew threw area and a toddler might have been playing with the buttons. Owner made sure to reset buttons after toddler visit and now knows how to child proof it. Any connection? Thanks for any help!

Rita Ribs
30-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Removed the freezer drawers, looked for blockages, cleaned the inside thoroughly and took hot water in a bowl and let it sit for an hour with it emptied and turned off. When I turned it back on, didn't seem to get any improvement. Then decided to try a heater fan turned on high put inside the freezer with it off, left it for another hour, and then put the drawers back in, closed it up and turned it back on. Didn't seem to help, temps in the freezer came right back to normal 8F, the fridge seemed to struggle, hovering between 45F and 49F. As of this morning, fridge temp is now 34F and the freezer is 8F. It seems to be solved for now, but owner is reluctant to trust it is totally fixed. Doing a wait and see. Anyone have any other ideas of what it can be? Thanks!