PDA

View Full Version : Beer Cooling Project

frank
10-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Guys - any beer dispense experts on here???

As you know, I like a nice pint or two :D

Here's the problem. My daughter is getting married in July and it's going to be a small family affair down in Cornwall. We have hired a nice place where the wedding will take place and we are doing our own catering, organising, drinks etc. (not on the day as we have caterers in).

Rather than take a load of cans down to Cornwall, we are considering taking 35 pint polypins of cask ale from the local brewery here down to Cornwall with us to supply a little 'lubrication for the soul.' The womenfolk will make do with 'ROSE' coloured wine :confused:

How do you suggest we ensure the beer is 'cooled' to the optimum temperature prior to pouring? (10C)

My thoughts are that I build a small water fountain type cooler where the ale passes from the cask through the cooler reservoir on it's way to the glass. This way, the cask doesn't have to be cooled and can remain within the 'normal' room and the yeast can settle. It will be impossible to turn any one of the rooms in the residence into a cool room for such a short duration (1 week) and run pipework etc.

As we may be getting through a few polypins each day, storing the casks in a cool room is nigh on impossible.

Out in Spain last year, we hired one of these water fountain type coolers from the San Miguel brewery together with the purchase of a couple of casks of beer. As it was a lager type beer, CO2 was used to 'push' the beer into the glass. No problem with that, but for Cask ale we will be using a hand pull to dispense.

I'm taking the van down to Cornwall as I have a list things to take which, quite honestly, won't fit into the car. With a little room to spare in the van, and a few tools if needed, whatever we decide, needs to be practical and simple, and can accommodate frequent 'barrel' changes, without having to wait for pull down time.

Lager beer in cans will only be available for the 'girlies' in our party :cool:

Any other - serious - suggestions??

chemi-cool
10-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Congratulations Frank.

I will most probably miss the celebration but I'm sure it will be on the Good Life channel later on this year.....

Good luck with the beer.

gwilliamson
10-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Guys - any beer dispense experts on here???

As you know, I like a nice pint or two :D

Here's the problem. My daughter is getting married in July and it's going to be a small family affair down in Cornwall. We have hired a nice place where the wedding will take place and we are doing our own catering, organising, drinks etc. (not on the day as we have caterers in).

Rather than take a load of cans down to Cornwall, we are considering taking 35 pint polypins of cask ale from the local brewery here down to Cornwall with us to supply a little 'lubrication for the soul.' The womenfolk will make do with 'ROSE' coloured wine :confused:

How do you suggest we ensure the beer is 'cooled' to the optimum temperature prior to pouring? (10C)

My thoughts are that I build a small water fountain type cooler where the ale passes from the cask through the cooler reservoir on it's way to the glass. This way, the cask doesn't have to be cooled and can remain within the 'normal' room and the yeast can settle. It will be impossible to turn any one of the rooms in the residence into a cool room for such a short duration (1 week) and run pipework etc.

As we may be getting through a few polypins each day, storing the casks in a cool room is nigh on impossible.

Out in Spain last year, we hired one of these water fountain type coolers from the San Miguel brewery together with the purchase of a couple of casks of beer. As it was a lager type beer, CO2 was used to 'push' the beer into the glass. No problem with that, but for Cask ale we will be using a hand pull to dispense.

I'm taking the van down to Cornwall as I have a list things to take which, quite honestly, won't fit into the car. With a little room to spare in the van, and a few tools if needed, whatever we decide, needs to be practical and simple, and can accommodate frequent 'barrel' changes, without having to wait for pull down time.

Lager beer in cans will only be available for the 'girlies' in our party :cool:

Any other - serious - suggestions??

I would speak to someone from either Sharps or St Austell brewery. Both produce some good ales and are based in cornwall, sharps also do a very nice bright ale which is ideal for moving and serving without the need for settling. They may rent or hire you a little recirc cooler with a ale blanket which wraps around the cask whilst chilled water is pumped through it. All you will need is some cask taps.

Cheers Gareth

glenn1340
10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Just an idea Frank, how about hiring a fridge van for a few days. It could be loaded up with the beer and the whole lot kept cool for instant access!

Plank!
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
This may be some help ;)

http://asciimation.co.nz/beer/index.html

james 100
10-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Can you pull the ale through a python cooler?

I have a friend who has a tempory line cooler that will cool two products, same as the pubs have but portable. Do you have the associated lines/hand pumps ect?

Remember the cask will need time to settle and breath/age before it can be consumed!!

If you want me to find out if this kit is available let me know and i will give him a shout. :D

NH3LVR
11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
This may be some help ;)

http://asciimation.co.nz/beer/index.html

This is a Man who will go to great lengths and expense to keep his beer properly chilled!

frank
11-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I would speak to someone from either Sharps or St Austell brewery. Both produce some good ales and are based in cornwall, sharps also do a very nice bright ale which is ideal for moving and serving without the need for settling. They may rent or hire you a little recirc cooler with a ale blanket which wraps around the cask whilst chilled water is pumped through it. All you will need is some cask taps.

Cheers Gareth
Thanks Gareth, but I'm a little concerned that a single 'barrel' (35 pints) won't last long between 20 odd blokes! given the amount of celebration and the ''hot weather'' :D (we can only hope)

I can't see a way to cool lots of barrels at the same time and even if I did, we would upset the yeast moving them, so they would need time to resettle (24hours :eek:)

I think what is required is a ' beer cooled on demand' type of set up.

frank
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Congratulations Frank.

I will most probably miss the celebration but I'm sure it will be on the Good Life channel later on this year.....

Good luck with the beer.
Thanks Chemi.

Everything good at your end?

frank
11-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Can you pull the ale through a python cooler?

I have a friend who has a tempory line cooler that will cool two products, same as the pubs have but portable. Do you have the associated lines/hand pumps ect?

Remember the cask will need time to settle and breath/age before it can be consumed!!

If you want me to find out if this kit is available let me know and i will give him a shout. :D

Hi James

That's very nice of you. Yes, it would be good if the kit was available for loan. Obviously, a small token of appreciation may pass your sweaty palm :D

The beer is more than likely coming from the Nottingham Brewery in Radford.

B G Scott
12-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Well, being long in the tooth and remembering when ale was always real, most pubs had cellars but no cooling.
My local had no cellar just barrels behind the bar and in summer the landlord put wet sacks over the barrels and let evaporation do the rest, not high tech but as it looks as though the beer will not be in the barrels very long it may just do the trick without all the bother of wasting drinking time by messing about setting cooling kit.

james 100
12-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi James

That's very nice of you. Yes, it would be good if the kit was available for loan. Obviously, a small token of appreciation may pass your sweaty palm :D

The beer is more than likely coming from the Nottingham Brewery in Radford.

I will give him a shout and make sure he still has them and they are still working ect. I will let you know when i find out.

old gas bottle
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
hi frank,

you can get barrel fridges,bit rare but available, would try the mobile bar trade, there was something for nothing at a lab at burton that we do but there gone now,will have a look for you.;)

Samwitch
16-03-2009, 03:38 PM
While I'm sure your choice of ale is excellent, I would reccomend the clouded yellow from St Austell brewery but it only comes in bottles.

But at least you that could be cooled in a baby bath with some ice.