PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Snakes.......

airflo
07-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Hello,

Just thought i would see if there is anyone else here who keeps snakes or reptiles as pets or to breed?

Maybe you can help me find a good temperature/humidity monitoring/logging system??
I have a few tanks in one room (and every year they breed the numbers multiply) which i need to be able to keep an eye on temp/humidity, is there some sort of device i can hook up to a computer that takes multiple temp sensors so i can monitor temp/humidity in all the tanks? I'd also like to log the temps if i could?

I've been through many cheapo thermo/humidty combo's would be good if i could find something descent.

Cheers,
airflo

alpha
12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi airflow, fellow serpent lover here, what do you keep?

A few year back I kept a pair of adult albino Burmese python, a pair of adult macklotts pyhton and a pair of adult yellow rat snakes, but due to some big life changes I had to re home them, i grew them from babies to adults over 10year or so :[ but I plan to get one or two more again in the not too distant future, possibly green tree python...

Anyhow, back to environment monitoring, when I had my snakes I also looked into a system whereby I could monitor environment via my pc but the cost was far, far too much really. I cant remember the name of the site or the products I saw, but I see one system with two dozen channels for temp and humidity with alarm output, it was a very impressive system, but the price was a big negative, £1800 :eek:

In the end I designed my own control panel using eliwell thermostat that were televis compatible but never got to interlinking controllers to pc, again, too much cash really. I used the alarm outputs to fire a relay that lit up indicator lights to make me aware of any problems that occur ed while i was out at work..

I will have a gander for the site/system I found a few year back and post if I find it..

Happy husbandry :D

jaye944
19-06-2009, 05:02 PM
snakes are danergous, icky sneaky things with fangs

yuk!

but if it floats ya boat

DavidAdam
29-06-2009, 07:16 AM
Oh...........

DavidAdam
29-06-2009, 07:17 AM
Which snake is most poisonous

DavidAdam
29-06-2009, 07:18 AM
King Kobra or the rattle snake

DavidAdam
29-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Which part of body is affected by cobra attack

DavidAdam
29-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Can u specify?

stefen
08-10-2010, 06:43 AM
Why cobra is very dangerous than other snakes?

Turbo2212
31-08-2011, 10:58 PM
It is difficult to identify the most dangerous snake in the world, because the effect of a snakebite depends on the combination of many factors above and beyond the species itself. The age, weight, and health of the victim, the size of the snake, the number of bites, the volume of venom injected, and the speed and efficiency of first aid treatment. However, taking into account the five most widely accepted features for comparison, the saw-scaled or carpet viper is generally considered to be the most dangerous snake in the world. Ranging from West Africa through the Middle East to India and Sri Lanka, it probably kills more people in the world than any other species. In Asia alone, it is reported to kill 800 people annually. Its venom is more toxic than any other viper, it is small and easy to overlook and, above all, it becomes extremely aggressive when frightened or disturbed. Indeed, many snake experts put it on the top of their list of short-tempered species.

The beaked sea snake is generally considered to be the worlds most dangerous sea snake. Blamed for many deaths in southeast Asia, in particular, it normally grows to about one meter long and hunts catfish in shallow estuaries and tidal creeks.

However, the inland taipan is by far the most venomous snake on Earth. A single bite from the snake contains enough venom to kill as many as one hundred human adults. Native to central Australia, the taipan has no record of human-related deaths because of the availability of antivenom. "Fifty times more poisonous than the Indian Cobra," says Steve Irwin.

chillerman2006
31-08-2011, 11:25 PM
You been googling 'Turbo' ?

thats alot of snake info for a uk resident

Surely that lot didn't just roll off your forked tongue

How'd you know so much ? Google or Discovery channel ?

R's chillerman

mikeref
31-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeh, good info and the Taipan :rolleyes:, just another hazard for North Queenslanders. Everything here is dangerous. The Late Steve Irwin was killed by a Stingray barb just off the Qld coast. Also, dairy farmers allow pythons to hang around the sheds to eat rodents. Not a poisonous snake though..

chillerman2006
01-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeh, good info and the Taipan :rolleyes:, just another hazard for North Queenslanders. Everything here is dangerous. The Late Steve Irwin was killed by a Stingray barb just off the Qld coast. Also, dairy farmers allow pythons to hang around the sheds to eat rodents. Not a poisonous snake though..
Evening Mike

Well i'd expect an aussie to know his snakes not a Brit

Sad about Steve Irwin, we see that on the news here mate, mrs used to like him, 'the croc man'

in fact she just said 'snakes as well'

:eek: the boss has spoken

R;s chillerman

mikeref
01-09-2011, 12:14 AM
G,day C.M. Snakes, spiders crocs, Box Jellyfish, sharks, stinging nettle, and now the fruit bats,(flying foxes) carry the Hendra virus:rolleyes:. Ah, guess i should be thankful, no bears or hippo's. Got to share some dangers with other countries....New Zealand only has the Kiwi to deal with, not fair:eek:.

chillerman2006
01-09-2011, 12:28 AM
G,day C.M. Snakes, spiders crocs, Box Jellyfish, sharks, stinging nettle, and now the fruit bats,(flying foxes) carry the Hendra virus:rolleyes:. Ah, guess i should be thankful, no bears or hippo's. Got to share some dangers with other countries....New Zealand only has the Kiwi to deal with, not fair:eek:.

Hi Mike

My mate moved to Perth about 7 year ago, well into his water sports & guess where he does it, 'shark bay' of all places, nutter

he did say though once you been done by a 'red back', a few times its just like the flu & when playing golf, just stamp your feet as you walk and the snakes move away, apparently a lot of brown snakes where he is ?

All the things you have there, I think I'd die of shock me, the mrs has bigger balls ;)

this might sound a funny question but I do live the other side of the world, does Nz have that little devil Taz.... (i got one on me arm) or is that just tazmania ?

R's chillerman

mikeref
01-09-2011, 01:11 AM
The Tasmanian Devil? Extinct now but some prople believe they have seen one on occasions. Tasmania, piece of land broken off from Aus, below Victoria. FYI: Local council here is the size of Tasmania. Google Tasmania to see how large the area really is.

chillerman2006
01-09-2011, 01:28 AM
The Tasmanian Devil? Extinct now but some prople believe they have seen one on occasions. Tasmania, piece of land broken off from Aus, below Victoria. FYI: Local council here is the size of Tasmania. Google Tasmania to see how large the area really is.

Extinct ! Really ?

did not watch it but heard her watching documentry the other night, you can not mistake that shrieking noise when they feed

Quick search google

"Tazmania is an island state which is located in the south eastern part of Australia (http://www.blurtit.com/q879542.html). According to the statistics recorded in 2005, the population of Tasmania is 484,700. The total land area is 26,383 square miles (68,332 km2). Its size in terms of area is almost similar to Ireland."

Now for the devil, hold tight one minute.....right I am back,

"THE Tasmanian devil could be extinct within five years unless those affected by a lethal, contagious cancer are culled or immediately isolated. This warning comes from biologist Kathy Belov, part of an Australian team that has solved a crucial question about devil facial tumour disease, which has killed up to 90 per cent of devils in parts of Tasmania."

dated october 2007...curtousy of http://www.theage.com.au/news/climate-watch/extinction-warning-for-tassie-devils/2007/10/03/1191091193858.html

Well I never, thats bad Mike

Is anything being or been done to sustain them in captivity or is that it now ? gone for good ?

And just to stay in check with thread...did they eat snakes ?

R's chillerman

mikeref
01-09-2011, 05:40 AM
C.M. now it's my turn to say Argh! Sorry, somehow i mixed up the Tasmanian Devil with the Tasmanian Tiger. :o. The tiger has gone and the Devil is still around but not in great numbers. http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/wildlife/mammals/thylacin.html

chillerman2006
01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
C.M. now it's my turn to say Argh! Sorry, somehow i mixed up the Tasmanian Devil with the Tasmanian Tiger. :o. The tiger has gone and the Devil is still around but not in great numbers. http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/wildlife/mammals/thylacin.html

Thats really sad mate,

I am a animal lover especially bigger, anything k9 like (used k9 not dog to avoid remarks) I would have been the fella in this picture for sure

and would have ****** ** the pair in this photo, given half a chance

This really makes my blood boil !!!
anyone that really knows me, knows I dont accept anything like this & think hunting for pleasure or to irradicate without a very good scientifically backed up reason, is just sick & my reaction is I would like to see people like this fenced in and the animals let loose on them

Humans inadvertidly destroy many of the worlds great creatures every year by moving into there habitats for personal gain & pushing them towards extinction, when will we learn to respect the wonders of the world and just view them from a distance, animal destroyers should be culled !!!

Back on track...I do hope Taz Devil makes it through their terrible disease thats killing them off

A not happy chillerman

Turbo2212
01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
A close friend runs a local reptile shop so I have always found them quite interesting. As regards my previous post it's an old forum post from my friend who I was with last night when I posted it.

P.s I used to own a Ball Python a few years back but after it got a little too tight round the neck of my ex girlfriend I had to give it back.

chillerman2006
01-09-2011, 01:25 PM
A close friend runs a local reptile shop so I have always found them quite interesting. As regards my previous post it's an old forum post from my friend who I was with last night when I posted it.

P.s I used to own a Ball Python a few years back but after it got a little too tight round the neck of my ex girlfriend I had to give it back.

Presuming here it's a constrictor,

Whats a ball python....venomous ?

install monkey
01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I have a pet snake and everytime me mrs goes near it it spits at her!!!!

chillerman2006
01-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I have a pet snake and everytime me mrs goes near it it spits at her!!!!

were we not speaking about your snake in another thread & it was described as banging in a little nail ?

Turbo2212
01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah it was a constrictor and it was very good at its job lol

install monkey
01-09-2011, 08:48 PM
i didnt mention the type,they come in all sizes-its called install monkeys trouser snake!!! haha

mikeref
01-09-2011, 11:48 PM
C.M. The focus in this area is to save these birds. The Cassowary is NOT a dangerous bird, though it will attack if threatened. Used to have several that wandered in from time to time but have only seen them now in the Zoo. Close to being wiped out as developers clear land. There is many world heritage listed rainforest areas now where they can live but recent cyclones and loss of life from them being hit by cars has dropped their numbers. The adults stand over 5 ft. I used to feed them apples :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XttrZAXzcg

chillerman2006
02-09-2011, 12:16 AM
C.M. The focus in this area is to save these birds. The Cassowary is NOT a dangerous bird, though it will attack if threatened. Used to have several that wandered in from time to time but have only seen them now in the Zoo. Close to being wiped out as developers clear land. There is many world heritage listed rainforest areas now where they can live but recent cyclones and loss of life from them being hit by cars has dropped their numbers. The adults stand over 5 ft. I used to feed them apples :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XttrZAXzcg

Afternoon Mike

wow thats a magnificent bird mate, not heard of them before & to be honest I think I would be a bit nervous of a 5 foot bird with a beak like that, not the sort you get out the car & try to stroke... seems similar to an emu... good to see when something is being done to try & sustain a breed, cheers mate

R's chillerman

chillerman2006
08-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Off topic - needed removing