PDA

View Full Version : does cutting hours cut quality

fzr1000
28-04-2004, 10:48 PM
:mad: hi all, i`m a transport refrigeration engineer/installer. just resigned from being a manager of a workshop, DUE TO THIS REASON AND OTHERS... i work in a team and management in there infinate wisdom, decide to cut hours for installations. it was suggested by production manager NOT TO LEAK TEST WITH OFN AND A QUICK VAC... on average the vac times ranges from 6 hours to overnight dependant on moisture e.t.c. the job in question recommended by manuf. is 250psi of ofn and 8 hours vac.
please let me know your views on cutting hours for PROFIT..

absrbrtek
28-04-2004, 11:44 PM
I dont see where either one really uses up man hours. Ill put equipment on the pump or leak test overnite. No need to be there while this is going on. Unless you sit and watch the vp I dont see where its saving anything. Pay me now or pay me later, theyll get the picture once thier warranty calls go thru the roof.

fzr1000
29-04-2004, 01:19 PM
the thing is they do`nt understand anything about refrigeration. all there interested in is the vehicle going out the door. when i was visiting friends at the site in question i`ve seen fridges not finished, the reply you get is oh someone can finish it at the customers?????????????? does not give a good any values to the customers quality...

Latte
29-04-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi FRZ1000,

When it comes to vacing out its the quality thats important not the size.
Just pulling 30" vac over 8 hours doesn't mean jack, really you should have a micron gauge on the system as well. In the old days you would put the gauge on the furthest point from the vac pump (Used to be reciever on old single temp units). If you come from an MTK backround then you will probably know Reeferjon & MRW so they would be able to tell you the Micron level you should get to. Unfortunatly its been MANY YEARS since i done my last course with Colin Lacey & cant remember.

Strength/Pressure testing is a must, but on the other hand MTK & Carrier are in a major battle for customers (One i thing MTK are loosing at the moment) and are oing everything possible to become more competative.

At the end of the day, Take pride on your'e work (I am sure you do anyway) and do the job properly, remember if you try to cut time & miss something think how much it will cost to rectify and it will always come back to you.

Where in the UK are you from to give us a clue which depot you are from

Regards

Raymond

Reeferjon
04-05-2004, 10:36 AM
1500mic 1st then 500mic 2nd (broke with OFN).

Latte
05-05-2004, 12:48 AM
Thanks Jon,
Does anyone out there still use micon gauges or am i still living outside the real world.

Regards

Raymond

Reeferjon
05-05-2004, 07:31 AM
LOL depends on the managers buget or how lound you moan you could get either Mic or Tor.

alpha
25-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Hi all, havn't been around for a bit, the hot is here and long days are a definate... :D

Micron, Torr guages, imo they really are a must, just using manifold guages for vac indication is a bit pants i feel, the better vac we pull the better our lovely systems will last.

hopefully.