PDA

View Full Version : freezer maintenance

Krups
28-04-2004, 09:23 PM
howdy, was jus wondering what sort of maintenance DO people carry out on a typical commercial freezer something thats found say in a school/college kitchen, from the basic upwards, and what SHOULD be carried out ??

Mark
28-04-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi :)

Do you mean s/s type williams,foster/ 13 amp plug type?.(integral unit)

Or small frozen food coldroom?.

Regards Mark :)

Krups
28-04-2004, 09:52 PM
sorry meant like an s/s s/d williams type.

dunty
29-04-2004, 08:40 AM
a clean condenser and evaporator coil/drain are your best options ,clean these every month or so and u should be trouble free. other than that itl be fine.

kiwi001
29-04-2004, 10:45 AM
I agree. The SKOPE vertical freezers similar to the williams only require the condenser to be cleaned and check the condenser fan motor. The biggest warrenty issues generally are blocked condensers,seized condenser fan motors- sometimes caused by blocked condensers and the odd blocked drain.
I think it is also important that the owner of the equipment is aware of the requirement to clean the condenser as in some instance they will only call out for service once it has faulted and it ends up costing them 3 times what it would of originally.

chemi-cool
29-04-2004, 02:36 PM
hi krups,

i would go a bit further then clean condenser and evaporator.

controls is the first thing I would check, is defrost working ok?, are defrost heaters working ok?, are there signs of burned contacts on the compressor contactor? are all the time`s set on the controller?

is compressor temp not too high/low?

look for oil signs around all the connections.
check condensing/evaporating temp.
is currant draw ok?
wings of evaporator fan collects dirt and decrease air capacity, are they clean?

and when you finnish all that, clean the erea - thats your signature.

chemi :)

Latte
29-04-2004, 04:34 PM
If the unit is in a kitchen environment then spray the condenser with grease gobbler at each check (Available at HRP & NRS). Grease build up soon blocks up condensers

Regards

Raymond

Mark
29-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi ya krups :)

One customer we had insisted on cleaning the interior/exterior.As well as usual checks such as.
Check visual thermometer (if fittted)check with hand held thermometer for accuracy.
Williams cabinets are renowned for thermostat phial/body corrosion depends on where cabinet situated.
Check the door gasket for effectiveness replace as required.
Check fan blades balance.
Check spring loaded hinge for door return.
Check castors (if fitted).
The older models suffered from pinholes leaks on evaporators,visually check vaporizer tray for signs of oil etc.
Check electrical connections for tightness.(Replace if signs of excessive heat).
Clean/comb fins on condenser accordingly.
Clean evaporator and comb fins if required.
Replace rusty/tanished shelf supports.
Take and record run amps of appliance.
If the cabinet is fitted with a electrical vaporizer, check for damaged and or frayed cables.
Hope this helps
Regards Mark :)

Krups
29-04-2004, 06:38 PM
thnx alot folks, this has helped loads. reason i asked is last year on wrk exp i went to do just this, and now have to do a write up on what i did, as it was my first time out, i didnt knw if what i was doing is what i should be doing, as so just wanted to see what some of u do, and pretty much have covered everything, some in more detail than others. ie didnt check properly for oil leaks..which i now knw i should have.
n obviously had to write stuff like carried out a risk assesment 1st etc.

frank
29-04-2004, 08:53 PM
Hi Krups

Who is your lecturer? Mel or Paul? :)

Mark
29-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Mel or Paul

Frank thats a 80s girl band isnt it? :D

Krups
29-04-2004, 10:43 PM
haha yea its mel and paul with sidekick phill.
this year has been abit disasterous, everyones complaining, id be surprised if more than 50% of the class achieve the nvq lvl2..although im guna try my hardest, getting up at 6am everyday has to count for something.
im update with everything, main thing im worried about is this portfolio we have to do!
iv still not been told the criteria i must meet, i still have yet to look at a previous students one to give me an idea of the volume layout etc.
n we've just been told we finish early for some reason this year, in 2 weeks!!!!! :mad:
n then gotta come back for exams in june, which we didnt knw we had till a few months back. n then took at least another month before we was told what we'l have to revise(nt the colleges fault, as they only got told this by c&g late)
we're the first year to sit these exams aka technical certificates.
aparantly they're trying to phase the nvq out n make it just technical certificates.

neil sailes
12-05-2004, 08:19 PM
For the NVQ level two side, we have been told that the NVQ will accept Kotza refrigbase for the theory side of it. I'm studying for my C&G as well, the lecturer that I have got managed to enrol us earlier enough for the 6017 which means no exams for us.
We found that our iv likes company job sheets, in your portfolio and lots of on the job photo's, with my portfolio I have put in the smallest of jobs like changing a electronic choke becauase of a default in the design, to converting an old r22 twin compressor system to r404a refering to health and saftey precautions, customers/ supervisors discussions i.e if working in factory complying with all the regs following health and hygiene compliances when working in kitchens etc...
I hope some of that helps.
Neil