PDA

View Full Version : Power factor correction

techguy
27-02-2009, 05:28 PM
HI Guy,s

I need some help please . I have an old 28 KW split system it has two direct on line compressors and a single phase condensor fan motor. The indoor is a 28 kw high static ducted unit.

The problem is my client has a wattless charge on his bill. Which I'm informed by the Electricial company is being generated by the old aircon system. They have had an energy audit and have checked all other equipment in the building. Apparently if the wattless charge is more than 30% of the total bill the wattless charge is applied.

The power factor efficiency( if thats the correct term of the outdoor is 88%) we are operating on 3 phase 400v AC and the rated power input is 11 KW. There is no witch hunt here my client just needs advice on what size type of power factor correction system can be purchased.

The only thing I know about Power Factor Correction is how to spell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

T

SteinarN
27-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I dont have any knowledge on what equipment might be available.
If my math is correct the AC system have a reactive/active amps ratio of 47/88. That is way above the 30% (30/100) stated by the power company.

NoNickName
28-02-2009, 11:38 AM
At first, you have to install a three phase power monitor and analyser to have a magnitude of the reactive power. Possibly you have to diagnose whether the reactive power is due to phase displacement of harmonic distortion.
When the assessment is complete, you can go to a consultant for sizing the capacitors bank

sinewave
28-02-2009, 12:14 PM
This will help you out.

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wiring-regulations/mag/2006/18-powerfactor.cfm?type=pdf%20-

al
28-02-2009, 12:47 PM
tony

check your inbox.

Al

techguy
02-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi All,

Thanks for the input. Between Sinewaves PDF and Al's info. I have enough info. I really appreciate the input and if I can ever do anything for you guy's just ask.

Thanks AGAIN

T