PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Daikin VRVIII 3 pipe BSVQ boxes

hyperion
26-02-2009, 12:49 PM
We have a customer with a relatively new installation, unfortunately we are receving complaints of excessive noise which would appear to be emitting from the BSVQ boxes. As usual, when our engineer is on site everything appears to work normally. We have sought advice from Daikin, to no avail. The noise is not restricted to any one BSVQ box. Presumably this noise is caused when the system has been in heating for a long period of time and then changes over to cooling, this is only a guess as we have not been able to pin down when the noise might occur. The customer says that the period of the noise is long enough to interrupt speakers in meetings, estimated length of up to 3 or 4 minutes. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas how we can cure it.

airefresco
26-02-2009, 08:18 PM
We had this several years ago on a VRV system. The customer complained that it sounded like a motorbike. Is that the same thing you are getting? It was only one BS box in a corridor.

It never did it while I was on site. In the end the BS box was changed and it still did it. After a few months it just suddenly stopped making the noise. To this day it is still a mystery, what was causing it.

Sorry that´s not much help to you, but at least you know you´re not alone. :)

airefresco
27-02-2009, 07:28 PM
An amendment to the last message. Apparently, after the BS-box was changed the problem went away. I could swear it was still there after we changed, but I was told today that it wasn´t from another who was present when the box was changed. So change the BS-box, seems to be the conclusion.

1torr
27-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi, Yes we have had this. Daikin UK came to site and did a software upgrade, Which involved puting a lap top on every bsv box. This changed the delay in opening or closing valves in bsv boxes.

hyperion
27-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks 1torr, we will get in touch with Daikin again and will post back.

hyperion
19-03-2009, 12:24 PM
1torr,
Followed your advice and invited Daikin to site. All BSVQ boxes have now received the UK software update and will wait and see if that has cured the problem.

stuartwking
19-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I have also had this same problem with a few sites.
I am awaiting service checker recording being reviewed but nothing obvious on one site.
Have you checked positions of refnets?

1torr
19-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Did the trick for us.

hyperion
20-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Stuartwking,

We also had the service checker analysis reviewed, this did not show up any noticeable anomalies. The refnet positions appear to be within the recommendations.

stuartwking
20-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Has the software update helped or do you not know yet?.
I did think there could have been a box piped wrong but you would notice that on the service checker.
I have the good boys at Daikin coming up for the software update so fingers crossed that will solve one of my problems. i will let you know how it goes though.
is it gas noise or mechanical strange noises?.

Thermatech
20-03-2009, 08:44 PM
As the BS box now has 5 electronic expansion valves the control stratagy for the operation of the EEV's will be critical.

In this case I venture a prediction :cool:

Daikin will be swamped with BC box problems & will be fire fighting with softwear up grades for some time to come.

Have been to 2 sites in the last few weeks with failed compressors on VRV111 systems installed last year :confused:

I wonder if these problems are linked ?

hyperion
28-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Since the software update has been applied, the VRV system now appears to operate without making the loud and annoying noise previously experienced.
The original noise was described as being a loud long noise, similar to an underground train stopping at a station. If your system has this problem, recommend seeking early help from Daikin.

Suffolk Fridge
28-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Hyperion you are not alone. We have carried out several large vrv3 installations recently and all sites are complaining about very loud noises resonating throughout the pipework. many site visits/service checking/daikin technical later, no better conclusion than that the noise is caused by equalisation across the bsvq boxes/oil return. We have had daikin come out to one site to re-configure the boxes, but as it was only 2 days ago, it is too early to tell if it has done the trick. *buys mitsubishi city multi for the next job*

airconadam
01-04-2009, 07:54 PM
I have also had this problem software upgrade sorted it for us

adam

nathan varley
18-12-2009, 03:56 AM
hi guys i'm new to this. my team and i have just finished installing a new vrv 3 remq system and we ran the test man and everything came back OK then when we switch the indoor units to heat there is a consistent loud noise :rolleyes: then when you switch the units off then loud noise then comes back on these noises last from 2 - 5 minutes i have read through the posts but have noticed there all from march and would like to know if it would still be a software problem even though these units are new straight from daikin about a month ago or could we be facing a whole new problem please help

VRVIII
18-12-2009, 01:04 PM
hi guys i'm new to this. my team and i have just finished installing a new vrv 3 remq system and we ran the test man and everything came back OK then when we switch the indoor units to heat there is a consistent loud noise :rolleyes: then when you switch the units off then loud noise then comes back on these noises last from 2 - 5 minutes i have read through the posts but have noticed there all from march and would like to know if it would still be a software problem even though these units are new straight from daikin about a month ago or could we be facing a whole new problem please help

Hi Nathan,

This sounds more like an install issue, are you 100% sure you don’t have crossed pipes at a box or anywhere on the piping? This will obviously produce plenty of noise and is easily done as some sections of pipe work can have same size discharge and suction lines.
Also double check the piping between outdoor units is correct.

If the piping is correct could you tell me;
What this noise sounds like? (ie gurgling/whoosing/drilling sound)?
How loud is it?
When the indoor is operating how long does this noise last or is it continual
Does the noise occur when the indoor is operating in cooling, heating, both or when the mode is changed?
What is the average pipe run length from the bs boxes to the indoors?

You could request that Daikin attend site but I would make sure the piping is correct, no crossed pipes/correct pipe sizes/refnet positions. If they find the problem is due to an installation issue you would be charged for there time.

constantine
18-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Daikin VRVs are the best machines i have come across so far,i stand to be corrected on this anyone got an idea of whats happening?

Clk320_Greg
18-12-2009, 05:06 PM
On the new gear they have mixed the order of the pipes on the Condensor in relation to the BS boxes, by this i mean on the condensor it might go suction/gas/discharge but on the BS boxes it goes suction/discharge/gas. Its not clearly labeld so this mistake has been made before!

VRVIII
18-12-2009, 05:54 PM
On the new gear they have mixed the order of the pipes on the Condensor in relation to the BS boxes, by this i mean on the condensor it might go suction/gas/discharge but on the BS boxes it goes suction/discharge/gas. Its not clearly labeld so this mistake has been made before!

See attached drawing indicating correct pipe connections. 3248

Clk320_Greg
18-12-2009, 05:56 PM
See attached drawing indicating correct pipe connections. 3248

Yep thats the one! different order on the Condensor and the BS box!

cooltools
18-12-2009, 07:19 PM
This not good news for me just started a daikin vrv 111 job but i got 360 units with 24 condensors so looks like i could have some fun

Clk320_Greg
18-12-2009, 07:50 PM
This not good news for me just started a daikin vrv 111 job but i got 360 units with 24 condensors so looks like i could have some fun

You want to be buying a job load of electrical tape and marker pens :D Get EVERY pipe end labeled :D

brunstar
18-12-2009, 10:09 PM

it does sound like you have crossed piping there, the reason that it may have passed the test is that if the unit was running in cooling mode the discharge line and the suction line would become a common suction so if the discharge and the suction were crossed you would not notice.

The only time you would notice is that if you put half of the system on heating and half on cooling, you should get near to no duty out of th unit.
It sounds like the bs box suction expansion valves are shut and the system is trying to push through a closed expansion valve.

That is the reason it takes about 5 min after you have turned the system off to stop making the noise as the refrigerant is passing through the capillary and across the expansion valve.

VRVIII
01-01-2010, 02:19 PM

Nathan,

Did you get to the bottom of this problem? Did you have crossed pipes?

Or was this just a 1 post wonder :confused:

daikinnewbie
25-02-2010, 02:49 PM
We are about to install our first Daikin VRV job. Another contractor installed one in another location. He has very loud noises coming from the last 3 BS boxes installed in a run. He has also lost 2 (Yes, I said 2) compressors due to ''loss of oil''. I do not want to be the guy that gets the phone calls if my installation has the same issues...this install is in the sleeping quarters of a new LEED fire department, and is very high profile.