PDA

View Full Version : paywise

dunty
26-04-2004, 06:14 AM
just a question for th uk fridgies.. why does the hourly rate seem so low to me? is it true electricians and plumbers get payed better?? how can this be.. :confused:

Karl Hofmann
26-04-2004, 09:22 AM
I can't comment on the rate of pay for fridgies, as I never go near fridges, but here is a theory for the difference. More sparkies and plumbers work in the public domain and can charge a higher rate, safe in the knowlage that they are high in demand, knowing that if their quote is rejected they will simply move on to the next job. Fridgies tend to subcontract more for companies and (Forgive my language) Supermarket chains who will screw the price right down, demand your soul and hold on to your hard earned cash untill the last minute, with the belief that fridge engineers are ten a penny. In return many refrigeration companies are so locked in to the work that they get from the supermarkets that they must take all the C**p that that is dished out for bare bones money, this is passed on to the poor guy at the sharp end as low wages.

Just my theory, but I would be interested in the views of others.

Brian_UK
26-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I think your theory is pretty good myself.

dunty
27-04-2004, 06:32 AM
yeh this makes sense i guess karl,its similar here, im travelling to th uk in a few months and iv just been chatting to guys who have just come back .,im guessing theres plenty of openings for com refrig engineers?

jan behnke
27-04-2004, 07:28 AM
UK rates £7.5 to £16.5 an hour
Here it a tip for you, I used to work for a company in London that employed kiwis in the summer. When they handed in their notice at the end they would use the van as a taxi and leave it at Heathrow right out side the main terminal.

Peter_1
27-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Dunty,

I sended you a private message.
Can you check it please.

Peter

Latte
27-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi all,
If you want to earn £40k a year then become a sparky or plummer.
If you want to earn £30K a year and not see youre family at all during the summer months then become a refrigeration engineer.

Most fridgies stick with the job because they either enjoy the job OR the company they work for. At the end of the day you have a choice, have a well paid job but not enjoy it OR earn slightly less but have more job satisfaction.

Now why is is so many refrigeration companies have so many vacancies :D

Regards

Raymond

frank
27-04-2004, 08:39 PM
I've got to say Raymond that we have had difficulties for the past 18 months trying to find the right calibre engineer. We have tried a number of "engineers" who have come for the job vacancy and have talked the good talk but when you send them out to a job they haven't a clue. Most of them have come and said "I've got my level 2 NVQ and 4 years experience" but this doesn't mean a thing if they can't do the job. :eek:

We have an "engineer" at present who has just put R407C gauges on to a R22 system and then can't or don't understand why the readings don't make sense! :( When you explain the mistake (and the contamination of the gauges) he responds " uh?". Talk about a skills shortage. I think a lot of it goes back to the final years at school not just the refrig college.

Bring back the old apprenticeship! :p

Latte
27-04-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi Frank,
The trouble is these days we live in a high tech world,
Ask any school leaver would they rather spend all day in a nice air conditioned office working on a computer 9 till 5 OR spend 15 hours a day in summer going out repairing them what do you think they would choose.

I aggree that getting the right calibre of right engineer is almost impossible these days, but just harping back to one of my old groans, if the training is not redably available then what do you expect, Anyone can learn as an apprentise but SHOULD go to collage & get the theory right first.

PS If anyone knows anything about Mitsi Courses can they send me a PM, Just been on their website & can't find Jack ****

Regards

Raymond