PDA

View Full Version : Hotpoing fridge/freezer HELP NEEDED!

graham125
15-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Hi hope someone can help me with my problem!
The fridge/freezer is a Hotpoint Minstral IC, Model number is FF93S.
the unit is about 7 years old and was my mother, when she moved all her things went into storage and was there about 1 year. now she has gave me this as mine broke! not having much look. well i plugged it in and all seemed fine. i ajusted the temp to +2 for the fridge and -6 for freezer and left it for 24hours the temp in the fridge is saying+16 and will not drop and the freezer +2??? the temp worning light is flashing on the display. can it be reset or is it the thermostat goon??? cheers any help ???? Graham

fridge doctor
16-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Not familiar with the model, but from your description the thermostat is likely not the problem. I would be leaning towards, loss of refrigerant gas (was it moved from storage very carefully)? Or it could also be a failing compressor (overheating and cutting out on overload). At 7 years + age, neither of these problems are really a viable option for repair unless the cabinet is in perfect nick otherwise.

Note: If you have inadvertently damaged a pipe on the back during the move, you should hear gas escaping from the damaged area, and/or see oil covering the pipe or leaking on to the floor pan by the compressor. If this is the case where the pipe is damaged and can be seen to be damaged, then a repair should be a viable option again provided the rest of the cabinet interior/exterior is worth it.

Hope that helps.

graham125
16-02-2009, 04:36 PM
hi
the fridge is in excellant condition thats why i got it! i have looked at the back/bottom to see if theres a leak and it is all sealed up so cant have been damaged? the freezer temp went down to -6 and fridge is staying at +16??? any help

tonto33
16-02-2009, 11:18 PM
replace Thermistor's

TECH TIM
17-02-2009, 10:37 AM
definatly sounds like a refrigerant problem to me, is the unit frost free or cyclic defrost, if frost free check to see if fan or fans operate (inside cabinets) you may need to simulate door being closed to get fans to operate, if it is cyclic defrost try to check where "freezing" stops, if it only freezes half the freezer wall it would be short of refrigerant, or compressor ineffiecent, but due to you saying it has been off for 1 yr i would say lost gas

graham125
17-02-2009, 07:05 PM
it is frost free, going to call an enginer out to have a look as i dont know much about it! when i first switched it on i could here the fan kickin in. can they be re gassed??? cheers

TECH TIM
18-02-2009, 09:34 AM
they can be regassed alot of the times not worth the worry/cost though, but you did say its in good cond, let us know how you go with it,

graham125
20-02-2009, 06:46 AM
got the engineer coming out on monday morning, he said it could be a number of things! will keep yas posted.