PDA

View Full Version : Pro and Cons of open sharfted centrifugal chiller

THE WOMBAT
05-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Hi

Just wondering the pros and cons of open sharfted centrifugal chillers V's semi hermetic ?

the only thing i can think of is 'how long we looking at before sharft seal failure?' but no system contamination from motor burnout and easy motor replacement.

my client is looking at designing a building system with total chiller capacity of 25Mw:eek:, where looking at feasibility and cost per ownership,

If you where asked the question ''what is the best chiller for low maintenance?

cheers guys

chillerman2006
05-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi wombat

I am not an expert on design, but

for 25mw I would suggest open drive recip. running on R717 with variable speed motor, oil seperator and pump that activates prior to motor startup.

Shaft seals are fine for 1000's of hours as long as they are installed correctly and kept lubricated.

Soft starting variable speed also preserves life span.

hope this helps chillerman

THE WOMBAT
05-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi Chiller man
The system will be made up of multiple chillers with hydrolically separate header systems for resiliency. There would have to be N+2 system resilancey with chillers. looking at smaller skid mount units from 2 to 4Mw, but R717 would most likely be the best gas for the job. Or a chiller that runs high dischage temps so the energy can be collected and fired directly into an Absorbtion chillers and or building heating systems, basically im trying to design a fully recoverable energy system with minable energy wastage, Who makes a chiller with hot water output 70*c+ with 6*c coming out the other end, xmas wish list!

chillerman2006
05-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I will print off your requirements and do some digging for you tomorrow.

chillerman2006
05-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Wombat

whats jpmorgan's connection with system design's?

THE WOMBAT
06-02-2009, 10:11 AM
when i find out ill let u know, thanks anyway i've found the gas and chiller rig requirements i need.
cheers

consultants: the only guys that tell you the wrong time with your own watch!