Looking for error code meanings for a sharp split System
AE-A249J
Outdoor board flashs
3 flashs 6 times & 1 solid
& then starts the process again

Thanks in advance

paul_h
05-02-2009, 02:07 PM
AC abnormal current. There's a current detector on the outdoor PCB.
Check capacitor, check soft starter (wire up without s/s as per wiring diagram, you need to make up a lead from the capacitor to neutral with the soft start removed.)
I've done a dozen of these in the past month, it's nearly always the capacitor and/or quickstart 5

If the capacitor is good* and the soft starter is bypassed and the system still faults out, remove the lead that goes through the current sensing coil loop and check the amps when the compressor starts. If amps normal and compressor starts fine, then the PCB is faulty.
edit: of course if the amps are high the compressor is faulty.

*I had a capacitor that worked for 5 min then died when the cap heated up, so be sure the cap is good by using a decent meter and the cap is well within spec (I've had ones that were dud measuring at 35uF when they should have been 50uF), or use a spare 50uF test capacitor.

Makanic
05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
AC abnormal current. There's a current detector on the outdoor PCB.
Check capacitor, check soft starter (wire up without s/s as per wiring diagram, you need to make up a lead from the capacitor to neutral with the soft start removed.)
I've done a dozen of these in the past month, it's nearly always the capacitor and/or quickstart 5

If the capacitor is good* and the soft starter is bypassed and the system still faults out, remove the lead that goes through the current sensing coil loop and check the amps when the compressor starts. If amps normal and compressor starts fine, then the PCB is faulty.
edit: of course if the amps are high the compressor is faulty.

*I had a capacitor that worked for 5 min then died when the cap heated up, so be sure the cap is good by using a decent meter and the cap is well within spec (I've had ones that were dud measuring at 35uF when they should have been 50uF), or use a spare 50uF test capacitor.

Thanks
got 2 dead units as well :(
Never seen a sharp Ac before that...
Comp windings & caps are good
Thought it might be the soft starter ....

Makanic
05-02-2009, 02:59 PM
[quote=paul_h;134505]AC abnormal current. There's a current detector on the outdoor PCB.
Check capacitor, check soft starter (wire up without s/s as per wiring diagram,

Any Chance of diagram :)
Thanks Paul