PDA

View Full Version : going to the other side

FREEZER1970
03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
i was wondering if anyone has crossed over to the commercial side,or knows anyone who has,and if so how did they get on

Tesla
04-02-2009, 06:04 AM
Crossed over from where? Industrial or Domestic? I did a litle industrial as an apprentice now work in commercial. At the mo times are tough and customers are watching every penny!

aircon50
04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Given your location as Norfolk, are you "changing over" from the transport sector. I had approx 33 years in transport refrigeration in the UK. I left the country to "change over"!! Don't forget the principle of vapor compression refrigeration is the same - only the shape, size and color of the components change!

Silhouette
05-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I have seen allsorts of people from different backgrounds in the commercial sector, ranging from ex delivery drivers to outomobile exhaust fitters. If you understand the basics then you probably have a headstart on a lot of the "service engineers" out there!

chillerman2006
05-02-2009, 03:12 PM
i was wondering if anyone has crossed over to the commercial side,or knows anyone who has,and if so how did they get on

Started in transport hub/gah/mtk/carrier, then small commercial then pack systems, now industrial.

All depends what your after, transport side pays well with the door to door, many other area's dont but pay better basic.

If you decide what area you want to get into, just get some manuals for that application and with the phase out of R22 jobs should be plentifull this summer regardless of the recesison.

Also join ASHRAE and you will receive their books, 1 a year, worth doing if you want up to date knowledge.

Where ever you work within the trade your always learning, so as long as you have the basics sussed then you choose your direction.

Goodluck chillerman:D

FREEZER1970
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
HI GUYS
thanks for the replies,had 13yrs in transport,looking at commercial ref&aircon,for a possible change of direction,any advice on study/product guides would be most welcome