PDA

View Full Version : carel ir33 digital input

Temprite
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Hello all.

I was wondering if any body knows a way of configuring a Carel IR33SOEROO control to activate an alarm, with a flow switch that closes circuit when there is lack of flow.

If the flow switch open circuited on a lack of flow then it can be done.

The only way I can see it working is to have the flow switch activating a relay and to run the digital input line through the normally closed contacts of this relay.

Thanks in advance.

nike123
02-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello all.

I was wondering if any body knows a way of configuring a Carel IR33SOEROO control to activate an alarm, with a flow switch that closes circuit when there is lack of flow.

If the flow switch open circuited on a lack of flow then it can be done.

The only way I can see it working is to have the flow switch activating a relay and to run the digital input line through the normally closed contacts of this relay.

Thanks in advance.

It is not clear what circuit you want to "close".
Describe little more your application and what you want to accomplish.

Depending on the model, the controllers are fitted with two digital inputs (or with
three probe inputs). The associated functions are the following:
• immediate alarm;
• delayed alarm;
• enable defrost;
• start defrost;
• door switch with compressor and fan shutdown and light management;
• remote ON/OFF;
• curtain switch with set point variation and light management;
• low pressure alarm;
• door switch with fan shutdown and light management;
• Direct/Reverse selection;
• light sensor and light management;
• door switch with compressor and fans off, without light management;
• door switch with fans off, without light management.

Temprite
02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
It is not clear what circuit you want to "close".
Describe little more your application and what you want to accomplish.

Thanks for the reply nike.

I want to disable the compressor circuit on lack of flow.

Just been doing a bit of reading on this control and I think I can set up digital input to control aux relay and then I will run compressor circuit through normally closed of aux relay.

nike123
02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the reply nike.

I want to disable the compressor circuit on lack of flow.

Just been doing a bit of reading on this control and I think I can set up digital input to control aux relay and then I will run compressor circuit through normally closed of aux relay.

Except compressor, what else you need to disable or it is compressor only what is going to be disabled?
Do you already have one input set as low pressure alarm?

Grizzly
02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Temprite.
I am not exactly sure as to why you seem to be making this flow switch control so complicated.
But in fairness I might have the wrong end of the stick.
Please refer to the attached for wiring connections of what I hope is the correct controller?
http://www.mediafire.com/?wortmslzb93

Anyway as I see it, the simplest way of controlling through the flow switch.
Would be
A) disconnect the live feed from A1 on the run contactor.
Run a cable (suitably sized) and connected to the disconnected end.
Through to the flow switch and back to AI on the compressor run contactor.
B) put the flow switch in between the live input to the relays.
depending upon which drawing you refer to it could be Terminal 1 or 5.
If you are really clever this could also be linked through to a run fail light.
Alternatively you could do as you suggest and run a power supply through the flow switch and supplying a relay. which in turn has a no run permit light on the N.C. contacts of the relay?
Etc. Etc.
Hope this is what you are meaning or else I have wasted my time?
Good Luck Grizzly

Brian_UK
02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Good idea Grizzly but I would include some form of lock out or delay perhaps otherwise a chattering flow switch could do damage to the compressor.

"Chattering" or someone playing with the pump or valves.

nike123
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Good idea Grizzly but I would include some form of lock out or delay perhaps otherwise a chattering flow switch could do damage to the compressor.

"Chattering" or someone playing with the pump or valves.

If low pressure switch function is not used on controller, then flow switch could be connected directly at one digital input and input configured as low pressure alarm.
Than delay of low pressure alarm reaction could be programed.
Also, same input could be programed as delayed alarm if low pressure alarm is already used.

Grizzly
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Nike and Brian.
Both good points.
Perhaps if we knew what equipment was to be converted it may help.
Maybe Temprite could create an amalgam of all our comments.
Steve.

Temprite
03-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry I am a bit vague on the info.

This is a glycol system that cools beer.

The flow switch has only very small gauge wire going through it otherwise i would have ran the feed to the pump down solenoid through it.

The control circuit breaker is about 10 amps from memory, which would not protect the wire to the flow switch.

The original controller on this unit was a IR33SOEROOK. Which was faulty.

The controller that I had in stock was a IR33SOEROO.

The flow switch was connected to the digital input of the controller.

The problem I see with using the digital input on the controller is you need a set of contacts that open on alarm condition for it to work.

The flow switch on the glycol tank closes the contacts on alarm condition or lack of flow.

The good thing about using the digital input is that I am pretty sure you can set a delay on restart after an alarm condition.

The problem with configuring it as low pressure alarm is that low pressure switch opens on alarm condition.

There must be a way to create an alarm via digital input on a closing of the circuit.

I am pretty sure you can set aux relay to activate via digital input and the aux relay has both open and closed contacts.

When I spoke to Carel they are telling me that is not possible to have a set of contacts that close on alarm condition conected to digital input, apparently you need the circuit to open on alarm.

Thanks I appreciate all help.

nike123
03-02-2009, 12:18 PM
What is the make and model of flow swich?
Some models have both NO and NC contacts. Try to open his connection box and see if it has NC contact.

Temprite
03-02-2009, 08:29 PM
What is the make and model of flow swich?
Some models have both NO and NC contacts. Try to open his connection box and see if it has NC contact.

Already tried,flow switch is sealed with only two wires coming out.

nike123
03-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Already tried,flow switch is sealed with only two wires coming out.

Then you could wire flow-switch in series with low pressure switch.

Edit.: Sorry, I missed the point about NO and NC contacts again. It appears that without some relay, which will invert flow switch contact function, you cannot do anything, or you need to change flow switch for other with NO and NC contacts.

Slatts
04-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Gedday Temprite, I have two gifts for you.
02876 29200 is the Aus Carel helpline. Very helpful people there.
The other is the manual for the IR33 series (http://www.carel.com/carelcom/web/download?nome_file=/carelcom/web/@extsrc/@eng/@catalogo/@documenti/@manuali/030220441.pdf).
I'd upload it but it's over 2 meg.

Temprite
11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Gedday Temprite, I have two gifts for you.
02876 29200 is the Aus Carel helpline. Very helpful people there.
The other is the manual for the IR33 series (http://www.carel.com/carelcom/web/download?nome_file=/carelcom/web/@extsrc/@eng/@catalogo/@documenti/@manuali/030220441.pdf).
I'd upload it but it's over 2 meg.

Sorry for the late reply but thanks for the info Slatts.:)

Slatts
11-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Did either of them help?

Temprite
11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I did have Carel's number and they couldn't offer a solution.

Manual comes with controller but it is nice and easy to read on screen.

The manual was helpful from what i read you could configure digital input to control aux relay. But there are many glycol systems running without flow switches and this particular one never did anything any way so it has been left disconnected.

If the pump stops running all that will happen is the beer will get warm. The unit will cycle off on temp due to lack of flow through tank.

Cheers:)