PDA

View Full Version : metres squared 'v' square metres

rbartlett
11-04-2004, 05:34 PM
okay guys

if you had ten metres squared you would have how much area? and why??

if you had ten square metres you would have how much area? and why??

cheers

richard

Argus
11-04-2004, 06:01 PM
As I understand it, ten metres squared is a piece of whatever it is measuring ten times ten, or twenty time five, or one hundred time one - that is one hundred square metres.
Ten square metres is precisely that. Ten pieces of whatever, one metre by one metre. In your terminology they they don't even have to be joined up.

Is there a catch to this, or is it just the way that the English language is written?
________
green crack (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/green-crack)

chemi-cool
11-04-2004, 07:44 PM
it is usualy used as square meters.

it doesnt matter how you say it as long as the other side understand what do you mean.

check in webster dictionary to see what is the common frase.

I'm sure it is square meters.

chemi

Brian_UK
11-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Anyway Richard, after all the other replies I will just ask this....

Are you trying to get your new lounge carpet cheaper than the list price by confusing the salesman ? :D

Bones
12-04-2004, 12:02 AM
in both instances you would have a total area of 10mē, because squared metres and metres squared are they same thing.

Peter_1
12-04-2004, 07:28 AM
okay guys

if you had ten metres squared you would have how much area? and why??

if you had ten square metres you would have how much area? and why??

cheers

richard

I'm not English but I should say - difference between square and squared -
Ten meters squared is 10 x 10 = 100 mē or 10 square meters IS 10 m2 or 10 square meters.

rbartlett
12-04-2004, 09:22 AM
Are you trying to get your new lounge carpet cheaper than the list price by confusing the salesman ? :D[/QUOTE]

the only possible flaw in this is that we don't have any carpet anywhere in our house as it's all floorboards..;-)

cheers

richard