PDA

View Full Version : Has CONIA closed down?

billv
30-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi, I'm in Australia.

I'm having a problem with a CONIA split system and I can't get in touch with their service centre.

calling their service hotline 1300 726 642 gives the message the line is disconnected.

I call their Sydney and Melbourne offices and the phone keeps on ringing.

After ringing for a long time, it switches me to their answering machine but it says the message bank is full. It's been doing this all week.

Anyone knows what's going on?

cheers

paul_h
30-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I haven't seen a new model conia for the last two years.
It wouldn't surprise me they have packed up and gone because they really were POS a/cs.
What's the problem you are having?
I think they were only sold in harvey normans, so maybe ask them if they know of any service centres still around.
If no luck from HN and you need proprietry parts, time for a new a/c I think rather than trying to get parts and service from such a cheap 'fly by night' brand.

edit: I understand you are not in the trade, and you are hoping to get a service centre out to repair under warranty?
Sorry if that's the case, without knowing any inside knowledge in conias situation, here's the part where I mention a 5yr warranty does not mean a conia is as good as a daikin/fujitsu/panasonic/mitsubishi etc. Brands may come and go, and if they shut up shop because they just sold cheap import a/cs and weren't making enough money, then you're out of luck.
Sometimes the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, just ask all the people who own airwells in Australia.

edit2: being a cheap brand, if it's not cooling and the compressor is not running, chances are the capacitor is blown. Easy to get a replacement from a refrige wholesaler, and not a big job to do. I just thought I'd mention that because all the cheap and nasty units that have broken down this summer seem to just have cheap capacitors that only last 2-3 years, and every one of those yum cha named units I've looked at just needed a capacitor.

billv
30-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Paul

I am helping out a friend.

It's not cooling or heating, it runs as normal but the compressor is not running. It doesn't make any unusual noises. I was thinking that perhaps it needs a control board or a valve or something.

It's almost 3 years old so if Conia were still around I wasn't going to touch it. You're right it could be the cap as well. Do you have an idea where it's located?

cheers

paul_h
30-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I bet it needs a capacitor. It's a cylindrical looking thing in the outdoor unit, just remove the top cover and you'll see it, should be rated from 25uF to 50uF.
I'd recommend someone checking the compressor windings and terminals, meggering the compressor insulation, measuring the capacitor to be sure.
When the capcitor has failed, they usually have a slight bulge on the ends (metal ones) or they have exploded (plastic ones), so it's easy to see sometimes without capacitor testing mulimeters.
Also using an ammeter to check whether the compressor run amps are in spec after repair to make sure everything is fine would be recommended.

edit:
Also if it's a big enough a/c (anything above 5kw cooling capacity normally), it may have a soft starter and larger capacity cap faulty (60uF to 130uF) and the fault my be with that cap or PCB.
If thats the case, use a generic soft starter from hyper engineering for about $200

billv
30-01-2009, 01:36 PM
Paul

Many thanks for the info.
It's a 2.5HP unit.

I'm not in the trade but I am an electrical engineer and still working with electronics, PLC's etc so I can do all what you've suggested except I am not so sure how to go about the soft start from Hyper.

Do they come with instructions?

cheers
Bill

paul_h
31-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah the hyperstarts come with instructions, but don't worry about that until
i) the compressor and wiring, terminals etc is tested as OK
ii) The main capacitor is OK, or replaced
iii)it is fitted with a soft start (might not be),
iv)it doesn't run with the soft start in circuit, but runs fine with the soft start removed/bridged out.

billv
01-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Paul

I took the covers off and had a good look at it.

I found that the 50uF/450V capacitor is not measuring anything.
The soft start does switch, it's cap measures ok, and it does have a short delay. a moment after switch on I can hear the soft start relay clicking and it shorts the 2 output terminals. This seems normal to me.

On Monday I will go and get a 50uF cap and put it in.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

billv
02-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Paul
It works now
many thanks for your help
cheers
Bill