PDA

View Full Version : Is geothermal the future?

mfakazi
24-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Hello Fellows
I was just wondering if anybody has changed from Chillers to Ground source systems.I have been offered a very attractive deal by one the manufactures of these ground source heat pumps,I have never worked on these things and I don't know much at all about it other then what I have been reading on forum.This is a new foreign company which manufactures these equipments so they willing to train me up and become their commissioning engineer pretty decent package.I'm really looking for help if anybody has made the same move.I'm a tired of carrying gases up and down the buildings.

Thank you very much..

brunstar
25-01-2009, 02:21 PM
geothermal and air source are the future if they are applied correctly, ground source will give you more of a constant but air source will give you variable capacity, so a greater output at higher temps.
Over all you have to look at excavation too as the total price for the excavation can be the total price of the heat pump.

I feel that geothermal is better for larger applications and heat pump is better and less expensive for smaller applications.

Scramjetman
26-01-2009, 12:17 AM
A lot also depends on your climate profile. Your need roughly the same number of cooling days as heating days otherwise your ground temperature profile will change and your machine will lose its effectiveness.

In the tropics here in Australia, we have about 1 week of heating requirement (the night-time temps plummet to a freezing 15°C - we dread these...) and the day time cooling requirement runs for about 8 - 9 months with 30+ °C and 70+ %RH. In such a case the ground sink will heat up as loads of condenseer heat is rejected to it and virually nothing is withdrawn during the reverse cycle season.

The result is the ground heats up and the temperature difference is reduced across the condenser lowering its effectiveness.

It's a bit of a trap for young players.

covertaire
24-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Hello Fellows
I was just wondering if anybody has changed from Chillers to Ground source systems.I have been offered a very attractive deal by one the manufactures of these ground source heat pumps,I have never worked on these things and I don't know much at all about it other then what I have been reading on forum.This is a new foreign company which manufactures these equipments so they willing to train me up and become their commissioning engineer pretty decent package.I'm really looking for help if anybody has made the same move.I'm a tired of carrying gases up and down the buildings.

Thank you very much..
Both of the other repliers to this question have made GREAT suggestions. Something else to consider is the fact that air to air manufacturers have "caught up" with the efficiency ratings geothermal once had on them. Yes-- its an efficiency war and air to air is just as efficient now, in the right case. Also, keep in mind the payback time. Is it worth it in the ling run? In fact, is there a "ling run" or is this a quick investment? Closed loop or open loop is another big question. Here in my area, the govt's are beginning to outlaw open loop systems becuase they think the salt water is starting to intrude on the fresh water aquifers, i.e, the Floridian Aquifer.

mfakazi
24-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Thank you everyone for your contribution,I know the COP is the key in geothermal but just wasn't sure if it justifies the cost for this particular technology,,,,,I think its too expensive.