PDA

View Full Version : Frick shaft seal leaking

Ian B
23-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I have a large Frick machine(cant remember exact model) that the shaft seal leaks on.
The history is, the seal was suspect to be leaking, so we replaced the seal with a new one the customer had on site. However this seal had been on site since instal(15 years sitting on a shelf).

I thought after replacing the seal and that it started to leak almost straight away that the housing o-rings could have been affected due to sitting on a shelf for 15 years, so i changed the o-rings for new.

Ammonia still leaking from shaft seal.

On replacing the seal i followed the instructions and didnt find it that hard, so dont think i've done anything wrong.

Your thoughts would be very benificial.

Regards

Ian

josef
23-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi, Ian B, I suspect you that you badly fitted washer spring. What number you compressor.

Greetings Josef

Ian B
23-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Josef

I think the model number is
Frick Model RWB 11 316. Hope this helps. Are you talking about the large spring washer? Does it matter which way round it goes?

Ian

josef
23-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi, RWB II 316, so much depends, must push for the center, not on the edge

josef
23-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Send PM and email, your model compressor TDSH 283

nh3wizard
23-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Depending on who installed the seal and how he installed it could be the cause of the new seal leaking; was an alignment done or was it just pressurized, and the leak remained?

NH3LVR
24-01-2009, 02:28 AM
If the seal is old it could have rubber parts that react with the high solvency oil we use today. This usually takes some time, but it is a possibility.

Grizzly
24-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Hi Ian.
Just a long shot I know!
And it might be a silly question.
But did you spin the compressor back up after fitting the shaft seal.
Or did you just resign yourself to the fact that there was a problem?
It may sound silly but I have reseated many leaking seals by running the compressor for a short while.
Many newly installed seals will leak if.
Insufficient oil was applied to the seal faces whilst installing the seal.
Don't feel offended if you are already aware of this as it is not always explained nowadays.
How important to keep the seal faces clean and well oiled!

Plank!
24-01-2009, 10:26 AM
How well did you inspect the carbon seal before installation?
Not just the face either.

I had a crack running around the side of a crane seal for a Howden. Only spotted it while oiling the 'O' ring before pushing it on the shaft. As I oiled the inside of the carbon/'O' ring i noticed oil oozing thru to the outer edge, on inspection it turned out to have a crack 3cm long.
You say that seal is 15 years old, could it have been dropped in that time?
I make more of a point of inspecting parts now - even from sealed boxes.

Steve

chilldis
24-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I had a Frick RWB-40 that had seal leak issues, after 2 seal replacements in the course of a year it was determined that the compressor thrust bearings had worn enough to cause a new properly installed seal to leak. Just another area to consider. Also a compressor oil with seal conditioners is a good idea for older compressors. I use Camco 717-SC oil with good performance results.

josef
24-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi, many are here writes about "O" ring, I believe that the composition 15 years ago was more valuable than today

J.D
26-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Hi all

In the past I have had to operate the oil pump for a minute to get the seal to seat before first start up after seal replacement. After machine had run there wasn't any leaking. If the machine has been run, check the hot alignment and shaft end play, shouldn't be more than .003".

Vinesy
27-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Ian as long as you lubricated the seal on installation - run for 30-50 hours to bed in, it should be fine - all shaft seals need to bed in