PDA

View Full Version : The correct way to write CO2.

nic_f
22-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

I need to find the correct way to write CO2 in a word processing application such as MS Word & Adobe InDesign. When I say correct way, I mean how small does the '2' need to be and how low does it need to be dropped down next to the 'O'.

Can anyone help me by pointing me in the direction any International Standards.

Unusual request?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Argus
22-01-2009, 12:14 PM

CO2 is often written in straight script where the word processor package (such as this one in the forum) does not provide script effects. Most of us will know what you mean.

However, in MS Word you can do it easily and it automatically formats the sizes. You need to seek out Sub-script and Super-script to do it. Don't know about Adobe, but their help menu should show you.
(On the MS Word menu bar, Click Format, then click Fonts, then look at 'effects') It is also possible to install them individually as a menu short-cut. Check out the help menu tab.

Super script gives you a reduced font size above the line, such as a mathematical indicator, square, cube or a number risen to a power.
Sub-script should be used in the case of CO2 and gives the 2 in reduced font below the line.

taz24
22-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

I need to find the correct way to write CO2 in a word processing application such as MS Word & Adobe InDesign. When I say correct way, I mean how small does the '2' need to be and how low does it need to be dropped down next to the 'O'.

Can anyone help me by pointing me in the direction any International Standards.

Unusual request?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Just do what I do, copy and paste saves the day. :o

CO₂

C0₂

yaz.

nic_f
22-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Many thanks for the reply.

I have noticed a difference in the sub-script heights for different applications so it begged the question, what is the official way? I'm guessing that there is no real definitive hight and size, only what looks appropriate.

Thanks again.

TXiceman
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Really confuse the folks...call it R744.

ken

Brian_UK
09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Many thanks for the reply.

I have noticed a difference in the sub-script heights for different applications so it begged the question, what is the official way? I'm guessing that there is no real definitive hight and size, only what looks appropriate.

Thanks again.I suppose that you will always have differences due to the various medias that are used.

You write it in Times Roman 12 point on your computer and print it on an Epson printer.

What you see on the screen has been adjusted to fit the screen by the computer and the printer does it's best to match the specification for that font.

Then you see it printed by someone else, now who's is the right one ?? ;)