PDA

View Full Version : split driers

Harrison
22-01-2009, 04:47 AM
hi all,
i have a small wall hung split system that has lost its charge due to not being screwed down:confused:, where do i stick the drier? i have seen them in the liquid line after the service valves, is this the right spot and can anyone recommend a drier to do the job, for both r22 and 410.
also, do splits have a drier built in that should be removed?
thanks

stefs_cruiser
22-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Most don't have driers, what brand is it?

You can fit a bi flow if it is reverse cycle, in the liquid line (cooling)
I normally recommend a 3/8'' with 1/4 " flare nuts , if it is a smaller split.

nicolacozma
22-01-2009, 08:38 AM
If you already loose the refrigerant, you can also dry the system using the vacumming procedure (of course after repairing the leaks) followed by braking of vacum with nitrogen.

regards

Harrison
24-01-2009, 05:17 AM
its a 1hp kelvinator. in the liquid line means after the service valves, not inside the box straight after the condensor? does it matter that the filter is after the expansion device (cooling)?
cheers

paul_h
24-01-2009, 09:29 AM
You can fit them after the liquid valve and expansion without hassle, done it heaps of times when a compressor burns out. IE just stick a flare biflow on the liquid line externally. It doesn't affect the performance a lot, and most of the time is the only option as there's not a lot of space inside the unit. This is what the actual manufacturers wanted us to do too.

Split's normally just have a copper spun strainer to prevent capillary/txv blockage, they don't have a proper drier.

Also it's 1HP kelvinator split, wouldn't it almost be cheaper to buy a new one than strip down, weld in a biflow drier inside the unit before the expansion device, evac and recharge?