PDA

View Full Version : Hydrocarbons

R1976
21-01-2009, 10:02 PM
hi,

Can anyone advise me on the differences in recovering flammable refrigerants compared to normal ones as I have no experience of hydrocarbons.

I may have to decant a display fridge.

Regards

dsp
22-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi R1976,
I wouldn't be putting any flammable gases through a recovery unit. Not too sure of the regulations over in the UK. But here in Australia i am sure that Hydrocarbons can be let out to atmosphere. As far I know they don't have a ODF. As long as its not in a confined space of course!
dsp

rnine
22-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Same in the UK. Integral sized unit can be vented to atmosphere in an open environment. Above ground level and away from naked flame or other sources of ignition.

R1976
22-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Tony
23-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Same in the UK. Integral sized unit can be vented to atmosphere in an open environment. Above ground level and away from naked flame or other sources of ignition.

I think you may be walking on thin ice if you vent them!!!

See http://www.refrigeration-engineer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8518&highlight=venting

You can get recovery machines that are suitable for recovering hydrocarbons, but when you do recover them only recover to atmospheric pressure and not below as for HFCs.