PDA

View Full Version : need help please?? fridge stopped workin

miky2001
18-01-2009, 04:47 PM
i have a kenmore, side by side refridgerator and it stopped cooling. i cant afford a new one or to fix this one. i am quite handy and not scared to try and fix it but i have no idea about these things? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

mike

R. skiffington
21-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi. First check is the compressor(motor) running, if so is it hot and is there a significant temperature difference between the pipes coming out of it( I would suspect there isn't) If the compressor is running and not cooling it is either not pumping or the system has lost it's gas charge( in which case it will be very hot. If you have either of these situations you won't beable to fix it yourself. If the compressor is not running (probably the case) check if it is being supplied power, if it is not then the thermostat is probably faulty, this is something you might beable to fix yourself. Get the model number of the fridge and take it to your local supplier and get a new one. Make sure you disconnect the fridge from the power point before you touch any wires!! unless you are testing for voltage. Good luck! (it's probably the thermostat)

Electrocoolman
21-01-2009, 06:07 PM
It could also be the defrost timer given up the ghost.
When you say its a side-by-side are you inferring that there is a freezer next to it?
If so, what is the freezer doing?

miky2001
31-01-2009, 08:02 PM
ther compressor is not running. i took the thermostat out, it rattles when i shake it? does that mean its bad? i rewired it to bypass the thermostat and plugged it back in, the compressor doesnt come on still?

chillerman2006
31-01-2009, 08:46 PM
ther compressor is not running. i took the thermostat out, it rattles when i shake it? does that mean its bad? i rewired it to bypass the thermostat and plugged it back in, the compressor doesnt come on still?

milky

I would say its best to leave it alone but IF YOUR SAFE WITH ELECTRICS

with the stat linked out your compressor should be running - assuming you have power

the compressor is protected from overheating by a temperature controlled switch/thermister

remove the power then you can check the switch for continuity

if the compressor is cold and the switch open circuit, then replace the switch

if the compressor is hot, then revert to the beginning and leave well alone, as changing a compressor or repairing a leak and recharging is not something you can do without tools that will far out way the cost of a new fridge freezer and even with the correct tools its still normaly cheaper to buy a new fridge:eek:

tbirdtbird
15-02-2009, 03:58 AM
The basic refrigeration components of a home fridge rarely give trouble and usually last forever. Any home fridge problem I have ever seen has always been a defrost timer with contacts welded together in defrost mode. You will seldom get more than 5 yrs from a timer. They are very inexpensive. Retailers make a fortune here selling new fridges when the only prob is the timer.:cool:

james770
01-03-2009, 05:38 AM
If the compressor is not starting,checl if it has a capcitor that could be the problem?