PDA

View Full Version : compressor oil leak

racer24
18-01-2009, 05:33 AM
hi,i have a 53ft wabash with a thermo king unit.lately i have noticed drops of clear oil on the deck of the truck,rite below the unit.it seems to be leaking between the engine an the compressor.does the compressor have a front seal,an is this a common problem.is this expensive to have repaired.thank you

Slatts
18-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Yes mate, sounds like the compressor shaft seal is leaking.
Is it loosing gas?
An occasional drip may be OK, but watch your oil level and refrigerant level. I'd suggest you get your refrigeration company to check it though. It'd be a shame to have to throw out your stock if it fails on the weekend or the middle of the night.

racer24
18-01-2009, 01:15 PM
no,it doesnt seem to be losing gas.still cools good,an when its running,its about half way up on the site glass.is half way a good level.

abet_meneses
18-01-2009, 01:32 PM
racer 24,
1.With refrigerant on half of the sight glass it means your system is undercharge although it stills cools it just a matter of time and all of the refrigerant will gone,start looking for that leak.
2.Besides ,operating with undercharge system entails additional power consumption.

racer24
18-01-2009, 02:20 PM
thanks,so when its running how far up on the site glass should it be.and how expensive of a job would it be to replace that seal.

racer24
18-01-2009, 07:28 PM
[quote=racer24;132081]i removed the plastic cover on the bottom of the unit.i started the unit an let it cool to 0 degrees.cannot see a leak.it must pick its moment when it decides to leak.im a o/o an i own this trailer.i guess the only thing to do is take it to a thermo king dealer.if this sounds like something i could fix with the info i supplied,id appreciate any idea,s.thanks

Slatts
19-01-2009, 08:34 AM
thanks,so when its running how far up on the site glass should it be.and how expensive of a job would it be to replace that seal.
racer, I assume you were talking about the oil sight glass on the side of the compressor?
If you were, half way up is fine.
If you are talking about the sightglass on the side of the receiver, half way up that is also OK.
If you mean the sioght glass in the liquid line, if there is one on this unit, it should be clear when the unit is running.
As for replacing the seal, you need to talk to your local refrig company and ask them. Any price from the internet is going to be meaningless. If it has to be done, it has to be done.