PDA

View Full Version : Employment in America

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
17-01-2009, 08:24 PM
Are the any Americans or British working in America who can answer this question,
I have City & Guilds 2 Refrigeration & Air-Con, is it a acceptable qualification in America.
I am thinking about working in or around Atlanta.
Even The State of Georgia Licensing Board Office couldn't answer this question for what ever reason!!!
Can You ?

Toosh
18-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Are the any Americans or British working in America who can answer this question,
I have City & Guilds 2 Refrigeration & Air-Con, is it a acceptable qualification in America.
Even The State of Georgia Licensing Board Office couldn't answer this question for what ever reason!!!
Can You ?

Ho Froozen, Why don`t you take a trip to Georgia and find out its only a hop from Bermuda

Norm

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
18-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Hi Toosh,
Sounds good in practice,cant get time off till april,would have liked to find out before then tho, Preplaning and all.Just thought the mite be someone on this site with the answer if not i'll aft to wait, all try an American site ,always thought this was the best tho.

hillbillywillie
18-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Like I said before, you'll need a work permit first.
Your city and guilds don't mean anything here-depending on the state you move to, you'll either need a journeymans licence or nothing at all except an EPA refrigerant licence.
Stay in bermuda you eejit!

hillbillywillie
18-01-2009, 05:29 AM
hey Toosh-I take it you're from scotland working in New Zealand.
How's life there?

Toosh
18-01-2009, 07:00 AM
hey Toosh-I take it you're from scotland working in New Zealand.
How's life there?

Hi hill, yes i left scotland in 1966 worked in canada till 1978 then the mid east till 1987 and came here worked for 2 main manufacturers got into a head on collision been out of the work force since ive just sold my pub. where in Scotland are you moving to

Norm

Toosh
18-01-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi Toosh,
Sounds good in practice,cant get time off till april,would have liked to find out before then tho, Preplaning and all.Just thought the mite be someone on this site with the answer if not i'll aft to wait, all try an American site ,always thought this was the best tho.

Hi, Unfortunatley the American system does not know what city and guilds means you will have to sit a jorneymans license I had to sit my red seal in Canada

Norm

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
18-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Just one last question or two ?
How do you get a work permit,and can you get a journeymans licence after work permit or do you need it before,and as i've said before you do need a licence in Atlanta

Toosh
18-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Just one last question or two ?
How do you get a work permit,and can you get a journeymans licence after work permit or do you need it before,and as i've said before you do need a licence in Atlanta

Hi Fr, If you marry an American I dont think you need a permit, but I dont know if there is a stand down period after the marriage, ask your future wife to find out

Norm :)

FRANKIETHEFRIDG
18-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Hi froozen,i used to work in bermuda in the eighties for arctic...are they still going mate?

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
19-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Hi Norm,heres the problem to do things right you need to fill in two forms and gather past info on self,no probs "formsI-129f & G_325A"
After that you wait 8 months for paper work to go through system,that entitles you to go over as a fiancee, & get married within 3 months,then you need to fill in change of status forms which also covers work permit,another 8 months,this time not being able to work,enough time to do all exams tho,but without working things could get tight.Not the perfect start so as you can see that's why im asking questions its nice to pre plan these things for the best start.
On the other hand i love Bermuda and the company i work for,and if i stay here,for another 4 years with my new company 'who as just brought out Arctic who i still work for until April'

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
19-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Continued
I can then go to South Africa for 2 years back to Bermuda for 6 years,which should take me up to about 58,then retire in America.
All i got to do is convince my girlfriend to come here, then follow me around,if things are possible life could be great.
Hey ,hoped i've answered your question Frankie

wambat
19-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Can You ?

Acording to what I read you should have no problem getting a job with those credentials

Toosh
19-01-2009, 06:34 AM
Hi Norm,heres the problem to do things right you need to fill in two forms and gather past info on self,no probs "formsI-129f & G_325A"
After that you wait 8 months for paper work to go through system,that entitles you to go over as a fiancee, & get married within 3 months,then you need to fill in change of status forms which also covers work permit,another 8 months,this time not being able to work,enough time to do all exams tho,but without working things could get tight.Not the perfect start so as you can see that's why im asking questions its nice to pre plan these things for the best start.
On the other hand i love Bermuda and the company i work for,and if i stay here,for another 4 years with my new company 'who as just brought out Arctic who i still work for until April'

My Mate was a cop in Bermuda since the sixties he`s retired there now and spends 6 months in Virginia and 6 months in Bermuda

Norm