PDA

View Full Version : Chiller alternative

Scramjetman
17-01-2009, 02:38 AM
I've a client who wants to replace a recip chiller with a new approx 500kW unit - preferably screw or centrifugal. I'd like to provide him with an alternative to some of the bigger name brands that are around.

His main concerns are:
1. It's in a noise sensitive location so it needs to be quiet
2. Reliability is high on the agenda - it is remote and expensive to get tradies there with the necessary skills to manage it.
3. COP (Coefficient of Performance) needs to be fairly up there but is not the main determining factor.
4. It needs to be air-cooled - the water is really hard so water cooled is out.
5. Ambient's are as high as 45°C regularly - so condenser fan noise and COPs are challenged by this.

Any ideas on who I should try? I'm open to anything from anywhere.

nike123
17-01-2009, 06:37 AM
http://www.mhi.co.jp/en/products/detail/centrifugal_chiller_introduction.html

Scramjetman
17-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Nice one Nike123. I've sent them an email to get a price and availability. We'll see what we get. Thanks for that.

The COPs are pretty good. The noise might be an issue but I'll see what they've got. Centrif's tend to scream a bit. Might have to use some accoustic insulation on it.

nike123
17-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Also, for consideration:
http://www.hitachi.com.au/pr-Air-Water-Cooled-Chillers.seo

Lowrider
17-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I you want a good, reliable chiller have a look at the Trane RTAC. There is a Low noise high eff. unit that can work with very high or very low ambient temperatures!

I love them!

Scramjetman
18-01-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not overly fussed with Trane.

The equipment seems pretty good but I'm finding a number of my clients are unhappy with they way they are being treated by them here.

I've got another major government client who's really unhappy with them simply because, as he says, they went in hard on price to get the job but they are stitching him up in a big way on service and maintenance. Might just be a local thing, I don't know, but they've done their dash with this client.

I don't want the same thing to happen to my new client. I'd rather consider an alternative.

Lowrider
18-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Trane in Australia is not company owned, but a franchice!

I can only speak for the Netherlands, this is not the way we do business!

We will always be more expensive on maintenance, but what you get is more!

We had discussions with a customer about the price.
On average, we do one large service visit and 2 leak checks a year. For any chiller the large service visit keeps us busy on the chiller for 8 hours and the leak checks about 2 and a half hours!
Most (99%) of installation offices over here do a leak check in 15 minutes and the large service in one hour!

So yes, they will be much cheaper, but what do you get for it?

Not to generalize to much, but most of the guys on this forum don't know half of our chillers compared to me and other Trane employees on here! (No offence intended!!!!!)

I do hope I've explained it clearly enough!