PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help me!!!

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
14-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm an English man living in Bermuda who's been asked by an American lady if i'd like to marry her.
No problem with that question,but the mite be with this one.Are my qualifications transferable.
"I've got City & Guilds 2 Ref & Air-con, and i'm a Supermarket Ref Engineer".If not what do i need to do ? If i moved it would be to Atlanta, do i need to be licenced ?or certified !!!
I'm a little lost as you can see,all help would be appreciated.

multisync
14-01-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm an English man living in Bermuda who's been asked by an American lady if i'd like to marry her.
No problem with that question,but the mite be with this one.Are my qualifications transferable.
"I've got City & Guilds 2 Ref & Air-con, and i'm a Supermarket Ref Engineer".If not what do i need to do ? If i moved it would be to Atlanta, do i need to be licenced ?or certified !!!

If she is poor enough that you need to work I would consider your answer very carefully

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
14-01-2009, 06:42 PM
The is only a few things i miss about England,one is a sence of humour keep it up.

Toosh
14-01-2009, 08:37 PM

Hi, You will probably have to sit an exam to gain your refrigeration mechanics license, so delve into the matter now.

Norm

Brian_UK
14-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Try reading some of the American EPA information.

You can take open book exams it seems, have a look here for starters....
http://www.epatest.com/software/

edit:
The official site being...
http://nlquery.epa.gov/epasearch/epasearch?areaname=&areacontacts=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epa.gov%2Fepahome%2Fcomments.htm&areasearchurl=&result_template=epafiles_default.xsl&action=filtersearch&filter=&typeofsearch=epa&querytext=refrigeration&GO=SEARCH

hillbillywillie
15-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Here's my advice, based on personal experience: Think long and hard before marrying her. American women are NOT like Brits. trust me on this.
America is NOT like you see on tv back home. Sure, some places are nice and some folks have it good. Mostly though, people are struggling to keep their heads above the water here, with 40 per cent of the country getting help from the gubment.
Health care is expensive.
it aint like home-they'll drive by you and shoot you dead for nothing here if you're in the wrong part of town.
The cops will put you in jail for virtually nothing. that includes being drunk in public.
You'll need an EPA certificate for handling refrigerants-no bother at all-piece of piss.
If you can do the job, you'll get a job-no problem-IF you can get past the anti foreigner mentality that a large number of yanks have.
There aint no Watneys here mate, or fish and chip shops-so be prepared for a culture shock.
Bermuda? Stay where you are you barmy *******!

hillbillywillie
15-01-2009, 03:40 AM
btw different states have different laws-Texas-no licence needed-Oklahoma-journeymans licence needed, and so on.
Atlanta is very hot and humid I believe, and maybe not the best place for a fair white skinned Englishman.........
If you need any more advice-let me know-I'm here already, and want to get out! Hey-you can have my job!

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
16-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey Brian ,thanks for the info,i now no i need a refrigerant safe handling test,and i've also had a good laugth thanks to the lads,but i'm still wandering are my C & Gs valid in Atlanta,if theres anybody out there who knows get in touch,and once again thanks alot.

nh3wizard
16-01-2009, 04:20 PM
All I have to say is if you don't like it leave...:(

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
16-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Just found out from ringing Georgia state office i'll need to sit a Conditioned Air non Restricted exam before being allowed to work in Atlanta, but she couldn't tell me if my City & Guilds was good enough to work in America,Informed me i'd have to send them in before they could make a decision. No one could tell me across the phone !!!
Don't fancy loosing them through sending them ,as anybody from UK gone to America before to work and if so was City & Guilds good enough.
Pre planning a move is supposed to be a wise move,it seems somebody forgot to tell Georgia Gov.

hillbillywillie
17-01-2009, 02:57 AM
NH3-I'd be delighted to.

coolhibby1875
02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
hi fsib im a supermarket engineer in the uk and have been offered a job in bermuda would you recommend it?

Froozen stiff in Bermuda
05-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Hi coolhibby just noticed your reply
Who as offered you a job ?

coolhibby1875
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
bermuda air con