PDA

View Full Version : Laser Thermometer

Kfoam
30-04-2001, 03:38 AM
I was thinking of buying a laser thermometer. Are they worth
the money and are they accurate?

Steve
30-04-2001, 10:31 PM
I personnally have never used a laser thermometer, I have however heard only good things from peole I know who have used them in the past with regards to the accuracy.

If you do choose to buy one, let us know how it performs.

Brian_UK
30-04-2001, 10:36 PM
I recently bought one but only as an 'indicator' of temperatures and mainly for use with aircon, to check off coil temps of ceiling units without using a ladder:).

When used for pipe temperatures etc I always use a thermocouple, trying to calibrate an infra-red against the colour of the pipe just didn't seem worth the effort.

Mind you it is sometimes useful for checking the contents of a fridge or freezer as long as you keep the unit itself outside the cold space, they are calibrated at around +23°C

Brian

starman
01-06-2001, 10:05 AM
A company I used to service bought a bunch of these things. They are great in the correctly trained hand but in the hand of a shelf stacker they are bloody dangerous.

When I say dangerous I meen they caused all sorts of phantom service calls as the shelf stackers pointed them at everything BUT the correct area :(

Jack Lester
01-06-2001, 01:21 PM
I have one but don't use it much. I like thermocouples too. I use it mostly to check compressor temp. I wonder how it woulld work for hard to find electrical disturbances. I'll check this out when I get home from vacation next week and let you know.

Brian_UK
02-06-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Jack Lester
I wonder how it woulld work for hard to find electrical disturbancesYes, I also use mine to check through a control panel/fuse board for loose/overheating connections.

Steve
03-06-2001, 10:45 AM
I would never of thought of using a digital themometer for checkng for loose/bad electrical connections.

What a great idea, the simple ones are the best. :)

Brian_UK
03-06-2001, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Steve
I would never of thought of using a digital themometer for checkng for loose/bad electrical connections.Whoops, I should have specified the use of the infrared (laser) thermometer for this purpose. :o

I'm not sure how safe it would be to stick a thermocouple into an electrical connector, especially if I was holding the meter in my other hand :eek:

Steve
03-06-2001, 11:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Steve
I would never of thought of using a digital themometer for checkng for loose/bad electrical connections.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ooppps substitute digital for infared, Im quite sure you all knew i meant that. Mind you leads to a intresting mental picture.................owch......

iwm ref
16-08-2001, 10:24 PM
Ive just brought one, Laser Thermo is great, damn good!

I would advise every engineer to splash out on one.

It makes the job that much easier, definatly with Air con units, coils etc..

Its so accurate and instant.

Cheers

iwm ref
17-08-2001, 09:43 AM
I brought mine from my local trade counter - DerbyShire Refrigeration It cost me exactly 100 nicker.

The price may seem steep, but its worth it if your busy.

Helps with calibration etc alot easier and a awful lot more professional.

Cheers :)

Brian_UK
17-08-2001, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Fridgetech

Where from, how much? I got mine from RS, the basic (+1) model was on offer at £68 plus for a case - might be worth looking there Marc.

Derek
19-08-2001, 10:45 AM
After inspection do not use the remaining good eye to re-examine the laser source.

Lasers will do lasting damage to the eye. Each exposure will do very small but lasting damage to the eye which will culminate in worst case total loss of sight even those dinkly little things the kids use at raves are a threat.

Be warned.

Very nice kit however.

Brian_UK
20-08-2001, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Derek
After inspection do not use the remaining good eye to re-examine the laser source.LOL. Point taken Derek, I must be more careful with my use of words.

com4t4u
07-04-2002, 07:20 AM
I use my infared thermometer a lot. Especially for electrical connections and reading temp. of motors. They are great for a lot of uses. You can check temp. of Deep fat fryers or other products that you wouldn't normally touch. And yes they are accurate. They are not good for reflective objects like copper pipe for checking superheat. Its best to use a thermister or thermocouple for superheat and subcooling.

Makeit go Right
05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Any suggestions on the specification for a Laser Infrared Digital Thermometer. I would like to get one of these to check Aircon system performance, but want to get a suitable one first time (and not have to upgrade when I realise it is not quite the right thing).

As far as I know, the main points to look for are:

a) The Spot Ratio of about 1:8, at least. (Think I saw one @ 1:9)

b) Temperatures from -20 to...well, 200C should be enough.

Some of these lasers are for cars, and close-up stuff, which is not quite worth the trouble. Any other points to watch out for?

clivemtk
05-07-2007, 08:55 PM
thermoking do a laser thermo which they use for 13meter trailers and compressor temps at close up12inches temps -35 to 200 centigrade

superswill
06-07-2007, 12:03 AM
i brought a realy cheep laser thermometer from an auction site and love it although still keep my thermocouple kit in the van just in case but worth every penny,easy quick and spot on for my needs

TXiceman
06-07-2007, 06:19 AM
Actually the laser is only a pointing device so you can see where you are measuring. The actual measurement is by an infrared sensor.

These are fine fro rough measurements, but do not use them for accurate work. To get more accuracy, keep the device with in a few inches of the surface and away from other influencing temperature sources.

If you want accurate measurements, yo still need a calibrated TC or RTD properly mounted to the surface and covered with insulation.

Ken

Paulajayne
06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Very handy for checking for failing bearings on motors or hot spots on the casing particulary on large motors.

To check accuracy use the know temp system

1. melting ice on water
2. boiling water
3. Body temp

Paula

Makeit go Right
06-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas. Got my eye on one: RayTemp 8 IR Thermometer with Laser.....

"The unit incorporates an 11:1 optic ratio (target distance/diameter ratio) and an adjustable emissivity.
"This thermometer also incorporates a miniature thermocouple type K probe socket which enables a wide range of type K thermocouple probes to be used for a variety of temperature measurement applications, including: air, liquid and surface temperatures."

- Seems to do the vitals.

clivemtk
06-07-2007, 01:00 PM
try a visit to maplins i did thermal thermometer 50 pounds

Dalmo
06-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I have one in my toolbox and how iwm ref says , it makes the job easier, and fast , too!

It's a great equipment !, but It's better take care with the beam and verify the measure distance, because some models they are no good accurate, and polish or reflective surfaces no good too!

Snowman123
08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
They won't measure temp through glass fronted cases, its reads temp of glass first sends it out by 5 deg.

Triggerman
09-07-2007, 12:09 AM
I recently bought a Fluke 561 HVACPro N/C I/R thermometer and have been VERY happy with its performance thus far. Its range is -40° to +550°C. I especially like the ability to plug in a K type thermocouple probe and take measurements in a variety of ways.

Best of luck!
Triggerman

"Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."