PDA

View Full Version : Fan motor problem or something else?

ks26
12-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi All,

I have a 3.5HP Emailir split. At low and medium fan speed the indoor unit fan won't spin but I can hear the buzz from the motor. At high fan speed, the fan spins and everything seems to be working

It's a lot noiser than normal as well and after about 10 mins I can smell something funny (like a slightly burnt) when I stand directly underneath the indoor unit. I suspect it's the fan motor playing up so I was going to order a replacement.

Before i do so, i just wanted to get some other opinions.
Could it be the bearings of the fan causing the problem?

Thanks.

Toosh
12-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Hi All,

I have a 3.5HP Emailir split. At low and medium fan speed the indoor unit fan won't spin but I can hear the buzz from the motor. At high fan speed, the fan spins and everything seems to be working

It's a lot noiser than normal as well and after about 10 mins I can smell something funny (like a slightly burnt) when I stand directly underneath the indoor unit. I suspect it's the fan motor playing up so I was going to order a replacement.

Thanks.

Hi Ks, I would change the motor

Norm

ks26
12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks Norm. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

superswill
12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
may also be worth checking the voltage onto the fan motor of the PCB,if that is ok then faulty motor,also check the start/run capacitor if it has one

nike123
12-01-2009, 05:47 PM
may also be worth checking the voltage onto the fan motor of the PCB,if that is ok then faulty motor,also check the start/run capacitor if it has one

Question is did he got knowledge and tools for that checks!

nike123
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks.

Could be! Check by rotating fan by hand with AC disconnected from power supply. If rotate freely and happily, than problem is not with bearings (in fact fan is on bushings).
Than it could be hard and dangerous for you to troubleshoot further, without tools and knowledge for that task.

Gary
12-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Could be! Check by rotating fan by hand with AC disconnected from power supply. If rotate freely and happily, than problem is not with bearings (in fact fan is on bushings).

Also check for side to side movement. A shaft should have a little end to end movement, but zero side movement. Side movement indicates worn bearings/bushings.

ks26
13-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Thank you all for your responses. nike123, I don't have the skills to check if it's a problem with the PCB as suggested by superswil.

It's summer in Perth at the moment and it's stinking hot so trying to get someone qualified to check it is virtually impossible. They are all busy doing new installations and making big bucks.

The fan seems to rotate freely with no side movement when the power is off. The smell of something burning made me think it was the fan motor.

Also, the louvre motor is not working as well.