PDA

View Full Version : Sabroe Compressor

Mish
09-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Hi All

I have a faulty oil differential transducer on a Sabroe compresser. HPC series. What i would like to know is, the transducer under pressure, ie, will i lose some of the charge if i dont pump the system down when i remove it. I ask the question because a sub-contracting engineer told me a temperature probe, PT100, on the same system was under pressure. However when i removed it due to a fault i found it wasnt under pressure.

Thanks

Grizzly
09-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi All

I have a faulty oil differential transducer on a Sabroe compressor. HOC series. What i would like to know is, the transducer under pressure, ie, will i lose some of the charge if i dont pump the system down when i remove it. I ask the question because a sub-contracting engineer told me a temperature probe, PT100, on the same system was under pressure. However when i removed it due to a fault i found it wasnt under pressure.

Thanks

Hi mish.
To be fair to the contractor it can depend upon which model of compressor you have.
You can find temperature probes which are within a pocket or in direct contact with the gases that are being measured.
Therefore they can be termed as in direct or indirect contact.
But an oil pressure transducer will always be in direct contact.
And yes it would pay to pump down the compressor prior to transducer removal.
As even if you have 0 oil pressure.
There will always be system pressure within or behind it!
If you understand what I mean?
Besides which you then are able to remove any air introduced prior to re-instalment!
Grizzly

US Iceman
09-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Temperature probes may be either located directly in the piping or indirectly in what's called a thermowell.

Here's a link.

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/frameset.html?book=Temperature&file=260_Commodity

The thermowell isolates the probes from the pressure, so where these are used it is safe to remove the temperature probe.

Under NO circumstances should a pressure transducer be removed before de-pressurizing the piping where the instrument is located!

J.F.C.
10-01-2009, 09:50 PM
HI
The pressure transduser on a sabroe is always under pressure

Mish
11-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Hey thanks for the advice all...much appriceated!!!!