PDA

View Full Version : Fujitsu multi issue

chillymatt
09-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi guys,
I have a bit of a strange one that I could do with a little advice on please.
I have 2 x multi systems.
1 - is ALY24LAT3 with 2 x ASY12LMACW indoor wall mounted units.
2 - is a ALY18 LAT3 with 2 x ASYA09LACM indoor wall mounted units.

In the last day or so , both units have shown error codes as follows on the indoor units.

Operation light: constnt rapid red light flashing
Run: Light: Green light flashing in blocks of 5.

I couldnt find an error code that matched this in the service manual.
Although I have taken some advice that it may be the discharge sensor that is faulty. It seems strange to me that this has happened on both systems at the same time and as such I would be suprised if it was this. Unless of course the fact that the location where the outdoor units are mounted was subjected to minus 13 just before we had problems has anything to do with it. It just seems strange to me that both systems are showing the same fault code at the same time which would llead me to believe that something has occurred to both at the same time to cause the fault/s.
Does anyone have any ideas on this ? R410 a Inverter systems by the way.

Cheers !

paul_h
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
these have two error codes, the first one, and then you get more information by pressing the test button.
To my knowledge, the operation led blinking fast and the timer blinking 5 times means inverter fault.
Pressing test button will make the timer flash fast and the operation blink a certain number of times.
2 op flash = IPM error, 5 op led flash = compressor location error.
I might be wrong as our models down here are sometimes different, but that's what the service manual for a lmacw says, and normally a lmacw is an lmacw no matter were it's sold.

BTW discharge error is not normally the thermistor fault, but high discharge temp for some reason. So if it is discharge temp error, something is wrong with the system, like short of refrigerant, poor condenser air flow or blocked indoor filters/airflow on heat etc. It's easy to check if the thermistor is short or open circuit anyway.

nike123
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
1 - is ALY24LAT3 with 2 x ASY12LMACW indoor wall mounted units.

Inverter error!

2 - is a ALY18 LAT3 with 2 x ASYA09LACM indoor wall mounted units.

Check again carefuly error indication!

p_p
09-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Check your outdoor fan motors.

Fujitsu have had alot fail ( not running freely ) causing non existing fault codes like the ones you are experiencing.
I speek from experience.

PP

nike123
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Fujitsu have had alot fail ( not running freely ) causing non existing fault codes like the ones you are experiencing.
I speek from experience.

PP

From what I see, that first dual has existing code.
Maybe observation on second is somehow wrong.

rude
10-01-2009, 02:14 AM

I speek from experience.

PP
Funny you say that because a guy i work with installed some fujitsu units last week and got a call back. Problem was the condensor fan blade was hitting the cowling causing the fan to get stuck. I cant believe they wouldnt check something like this before sending it out.

p_p
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
The probs we have encountered were nothing to do with the blades, the motors would spin freely if spun by hand but take the blades of and you could feel a slight tight spot on the shaft, this was causing the unit to totally shut down and bring up a non existant fault code, fujitsu said it was the ipm.
We just happened to unplug the faulty motor, the fault code dissapeared and the unit burst into life.
We have encountered about 10 now so be aware.

Regards

PP

paul_h
10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
I went through a lot of them when doing fuji warranty.
As I've mentioned before, the best way to check those fan motors is using the diode checking function on your multimeter.
red to black, black to red, and white to black, black to white.
I think they should be open circuit, 0.9, 1.8v, 0.9v respectively from memory, polarity of your MM leads matters as you are diode checking.
If my memory is faulty (I haven't looked at one in over a year) hopefully someone out there will correct me. But that's the only way to verify a motor is good, measuring those three wires.

edit: here's what I wrote earlier and is probably more correct:

All I remember in testing fuji fan motors is testing the red and black wires in a diode test mode, should be open circuit one way and about 0.8-1 volts the other. And testng the white and black wires, should be 0.8.v one way and 1.6v the other. If any shorts, ie 0 to under 0.8 V shows up, you need a new fan motor.

Rude: what P_P is talking about is DC variable speed motors driven off the inverter PCB.
The problem you mentioned should have been picked up by the installer/commisioning tech, or don't they actually test run the systems they install? :D
Yes you can blame the factory, but an installer not test running a system, or completely missing the fact that the a fan blade catching on the cowling? What excuse does the installer have for not testing the systems thoroughly before leaving in the first place? ;)

rude
11-01-2009, 02:48 AM
There was no power to the unit when he installed it. When it got power'd up he got the call back. Not much you can really do in that instance.

paul_h
11-01-2009, 05:44 AM
Thats a pretty good excuse :D

sinewave
11-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Thats a pretty good excuse :D

Maybe, maybe not.

The ASY18 at least could've been test run off an extension lead!

:D