PDA

View Full Version : motor rooms

hillbillywillie
07-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I can't help noticing that every picture here is of a beautiful clean and shiny motor room.
Most of the motor rooms here are unbelievable-it's like walking into a ****house half the time.
There's a couple with so much crap stored in them that you have to spend twenty minutes moving crap before you can get near the racks!
half of them have no lights whatsoever, with missing condenser fan guards making it a dodgy place to be.
do you guys have any crappy stores like that?

Brian_UK
07-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Do a Risk Assessment on the room.

If it's dangerous or unworkable then do not enter.

Your life comes before anyone else's.

tony--1
07-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Nope spend a lot of time keeping them clean . If they are bad when i first get them then i clean them . Makes it a better place to live . As you spend so much time in them .

superswill
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
i will phone ahead of arriving on site and make sure the room/area i need to be in is tidy if i know it to be a problem,i just tell them iam an expensive store man at call out rates,nine times out of ten its clean when you get there

tony--1
07-01-2009, 10:45 PM
**** must take you long time to get there then . My customers would laugh at you .

hillbillywillie
07-01-2009, 11:57 PM
some stores are a 2 hr drive.

hillbillywillie
08-01-2009, 12:04 AM
risk assessment? I'd lose my job in a minute if I caused a row.
The crap we have to do here is unreal-we have to climb up a 50 ft ladder then use a pallett as a ladder at one place.
then there's the scissor lifts which are 6 ft too short, so we have to stand on the top rail 50 ft up in the air in the big freezers.
Or the store clerks who walk in randomly and turn on the breakers to the system you're working on..........
or insulating ductwork with fibreglass with no masks supplied or...........and so on.
Guys-this country works you to death and is so anti worker that I can't wait to get back home to Scotland.

tony--1
08-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Some of my stuff is a good drive away .

And for the rest of the health and safty stuff that you break . Its your life that you are gambling with . You only need to fall once !!!

I hope you change when you get back to scotland

750 Valve
08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
we get the odd few that are in a state but most are pretty neat.

glenn1340
08-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Most of my work is on industrial air compressors, only a few plant rooms are very clean. A grain terminal I visit still has the mummified rat and pidgeons nest next to the compressor. Another site used to use the fat from its meat rendering plant to fire the boilers (the compressors were located in there) my overalls stank of rancid fat afterwards. Oh, and to stop the m/cs I`d have to pull the fuses in the control panel.
Happy days!

Glenn

nh3wizard
09-01-2009, 04:27 PM
The crap we have to do here is unreal-we have to climb up a 50 ft ladder then use a pallett as a ladder at one place.
then there's the scissor lifts which are 6 ft too short, so we have to stand on the top rail 50 ft up in the air in the big freezers.
Or the store clerks who walk in randomly and turn on the breakers to the system you're working on..........
or insulating ductwork with fibreglass with no masks supplied or...........and so on.
Guys-this country works you to death and is so anti worker that I can't wait to get back home to Scotland.

Hillbillywillie

Were are you working now? In the UK or the USA. Plus do you live in Scotland, Im confused:confused:

hillbillywillie
09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I currently work and reside in the USA.
I moved here from the UK.
I want to move to Scotland to work.

smilies
11-01-2009, 11:57 PM

The owner only does that because the crew lets him. That **** will not fly anywhere I've been. Lock out/ tag out, lifts, arc fault... that should all be standard. My kids love me, I think:p, and would like to see me come home every day.

nike123
12-01-2009, 10:19 AM

I have solution to that. When I disconnect fuses (in places when someone else could access that switchboard, except only and exculusively me) I use short circuit clips made from some cable (of appropriate cross-section) and I connect all 3 fuses on feed side in short and with neutral so if anyone have wish or urge to switch on these fusees, end up with BAM and FLASH and burned or disconected fuses.

That is first lesson you learn when working on ship dry-dock as electrician.

Also, in my tool box, I always have some locks for locking of main switches and warning table.

larry333
23-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Same here, machinerooms being used for storage, I throw it out of the way and could care less if it gets damaged. Some are clean but lots have lights out, crap everywhere, and no space...the've crammed the room full of refer units.

joe magee
25-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I know this thread has been beat to death but Hill billy is right . I work in markets in so cal. Non union shop. Most of the machine rooms you need to bring flood lights in just to work. One of the problems is years ago all work was time and materials, now it's all all contract, markets pay one low price to fix everything, that being said you as the contractor are expected to do the least amount of work and to move as fast as you can, every minute you spend at that store your company is loosing money. The markets dictate what they will pay for service. So the way companies make money is through construction, ems work, extras ,etc. Don't complain about the hours the work or the condition of the stores equipment. I learned long ago keep your mouth shut do your job collect your check.:D

750 Valve
27-01-2009, 10:13 AM
over here there is a fair bit of emphasis put on health and safety, if there is no light and the store's crap everywhere all we do is raise it as an OH&S issue and there is a fair chance it will be resolved. You don't do over the top or start being petty, this ais a sure fire way to lose the contract in that store but as long as your request id fair the major chains will comply.