PDA

View Full Version : how are you paid?

hillbillywillie
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
How are you guys paid in the UK? Here at my present company, we have to work 40 hours in a week before we get paid overtime. We get paid only for the hours we work. No work-no pay.
We get 5 sick days a year and two weeks vacation.
I pay $157 a week health insurance for me and my family out of my wages, and about $30 a week for dental.

taz24
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
How are you guys paid in the UK? Here at my present company, we have to work 40 hours in a week before we get paid overtime. We get paid only for the hours we work. No work-no pay.
We get 5 sick days a year and two weeks vacation.
I pay $157 a week health insurance for me and my family out of my wages, and about $30 a week for dental.

There are two main ways.

1 Salary.
You get paid so much a year devided by the twelve months, so if you were on £30.000 to £40.000 that would work out at £2500 to £3300 a month. Set hours worked, about 38 to 42 hours a week and overtime at a negotiated rate above those hours.

2 Hourly wage.
You get paid a set amount for the hour say £16 to £25 and you get that paid for each hour upto about 38 or 42 hours a week, works out at about £2400 to £3800 a month. Over those hours you then get paid overtime rates which are negotiated differently between companies but mostly it would be time and a half on the evening and Saturdays and double time Sunday.

Some companies pay a salary and then overtime if you work more than the set hours.

Pension, car or van and health care negotiated individualy. In the UK we pay out about 30% of our wage in total for taxes and health insurance.

Sick pay is different in each company but for the most you get full pay for any time of sick.
Minimum of 4 weeks holiday some as much as 6 weeks when national holidays are taken into acount.

Very approximate but near enough for you at the moment.

Cheers taz.

superswill
07-01-2009, 07:41 PM
paid weekly per hour door to door

flat rate 8am-5pm
before 8am time and half
after 5pm time and half
12 hours at work everything after that at double time

hope this helps

on install its anything over 40hrs paid at overtime rate

glenn1340
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Hourly paid 7.30-4.00 1.1/2 after 4. double time after 8. Sat 1.1/2 first 4 hours, double thereafter. Sundays double bubble, bonus four times a year, five weeks hols. Paid sickness.
All this for selling my soul the devil, aka the guvnor.

Glenn

hillbillywillie
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
So you get paid 40 hrs a week even if you don't go out on jobs for the full forty?

Looks like we're ripped off over here both pay and holiday wise.

Can't wait to get back home to civilisation!

taz24
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM
So you get paid 40 hrs a week even if you don't go out on jobs for the full forty?

Looks like we're ripped off over here both pay and holiday wise.

Can't wait to get back home to civilisation!

If you are employed by a company or an individual they have to pay you if you work or not it is up to them to provide the work. If you work more then the 40 hours you then get paid at an overtime rate.

The only people who get paid for only the hours worked are self employed people. Self employed people have to find their own work and only get paid for the hours worked or they subcontract to others who find the work but still only pay you for the hours worked, or a set price for the job e.g. they may offer you a sum of money to do a set job and only get paid when the job is complete. That way the longer you take to do the job the less proffit you make.

Cheers taz.

hillbillywillie
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
thanks for all your help Taz-now I just need to come home and find a job.

marc5180
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I take it your from the Uk Hillbilliywillie? Why did you leave?
Let me guess the weather:D

taz24
11-01-2009, 01:59 PM
I take it your from the Uk Hillbilliywillie? Why did you leave?
Let me guess the weather:D

More to the point why come back??:D

taz.

paddy@mm
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
first 8 hours s/time per day
anything after that is t+1/2
sunday d/time
28 day off .
all travel time is s/time
In Northen Ireland

hillbillywillie
12-01-2009, 11:05 PM
why come back?
Well, the plus points are I have 5 acres of woods with a home in the middle-peace and quiet.
I have a bundle of guns-good fun to shoot.
I've plenty of sunshine and heat in the summer.
You can get a job here if you want to work.
I've a 5 litre Ford Bronco which is awesome off road too, and a little Viking pop up camper.

Downside? health insurance is presently at this job $200 a week.
I get paid only the hours I work-3 today.
4 sick days a year.
2 weeks vacation after two years-max 3 after 8.
the people here are very anti foreigner-I usually get laughed at or made a fool of about once a day because of my Scottish accent-no big deal, but bloody tiresome.
No one here will make real friends with anyone from abroad-and I get that from EVERY Brit I meet.
If I took ill, the medical costs would have us out on the street.
The beer's crap, the food's crap, the arrogant #1 attitude is getting up my nose, been here 9 years and the only time people call is to have you fix something for free.
I miss my friends and family, fish suppers and the sea.
There's nowhere to take the kids at the weekend that we haven't already thrashed to death.
the schools are crap-the kids are finishing being unable to read or write half the time.
I fell for the hoax-but want to get out of it.
I left because i hadn't the skills to get a good job back home.
paid through the nose here to go to college for two years to learn hvacr.
now I've got training and experience, I'd like to move back to civilisation.

taz24
13-01-2009, 10:09 AM
why come back?
Well, the plus points are I have 5 acres of woods with a home in the middle-peace and quiet.
I have a bundle of guns-good fun to shoot.
I've plenty of sunshine and heat in the summer.
You can get a job here if you want to work.
I've a 5 litre Ford Bronco which is awesome off road too, and a little Viking pop up camper.

Downside? health insurance is presently at this job $200 a week.
I get paid only the hours I work-3 today.
4 sick days a year.
2 weeks vacation after two years-max 3 after 8.
the people here are very anti foreigner-I usually get laughed at or made a fool of about once a day because of my Scottish accent-no big deal, but bloody tiresome.
No one here will make real friends with anyone from abroad-and I get that from EVERY Brit I meet.
If I took ill, the medical costs would have us out on the street.
The beer's crap, the food's crap, the arrogant #1 attitude is getting up my nose, been here 9 years and the only time people call is to have you fix something for free.
I miss my friends and family, fish suppers and the sea.
There's nowhere to take the kids at the weekend that we haven't already thrashed to death.
the schools are crap-the kids are finishing being unable to read or write half the time.
I fell for the hoax-but want to get out of it.
I left because i hadn't the skills to get a good job back home.
paid through the nose here to go to college for two years to learn hvacr.
now I've got training and experience, I'd like to move back to civilisation.

The grass is not so green eh :) .

It's funny how some of us in the UK want to get out of the country and People out of the UK want to get into the country.

All the best taz

Enthalpy Eng
14-01-2009, 05:54 AM
Here's what it is like in BC, Canada under the UA 516 refrigeration local.

clra-bc.com/collective/fr_collective.html

just scroll down and click on the refrigeration service agreement contract button....

hillbillywillie
14-01-2009, 08:50 PM
well, Monday-lost 3 hours work.
tuesday-worked 7pm-midnight.
worked 4 hrs today-lost last nights overtime.

Does this sound like a good job to you?

tony--1
14-01-2009, 09:20 PM
**** man how long you been working for free !!!! .

hillbillywillie
14-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Working for free? I feel like I'm paying them to work!
I need another job-quick!

tony--1
14-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Lol . Well you will have to get your a ss back to the uk then . Before you run out of cash

hillbillywillie
14-01-2009, 09:47 PM
too late-I'm already down to my last threepenny bit!
The fuzzywuzzies are at the gates and the horses have bolted!

750 Valve
15-01-2009, 10:25 AM
all the guys on the tools are
40hrs/wk base wage (hourly rate) paid for 38hrs (accrue 1 RDO per month)
after 8 hrs in any day its double time (no such thing as time & a half)
Callouts are 4 hrs @ double per job
sickies, holidays, etc

I am on salary though and don't get paid for OT anymore... :(
unless I do callout (which I do sometimes to keep my hand in and top up the old bank account) :)

icemakerman
16-01-2009, 11:14 PM
base rate for 38 hrs (same as 750valve work 40 accrue 1 roster day every 4 weeks) 1.5 times for first 3 hrs then double .Sundays and public hols are double time 4 weeks annual leave (not in the summer lol) 5 days sick leave for 1st year then 8 days per year after that not sure if we accrue sick leave no medical (thank god for medicare) but tax is lower lets see 9%super paid by employer +tax rebates if you contribute over a certain ammount each year would be interested in knowing base rates paid in sydney nowadays

Scramjetman
17-01-2009, 05:03 AM
The land of Oz (Australia ) doesn't sound like such a bad place to work after all. We're the same - overtime after 8hrs of work in a day at time x 1.5 and after 11hrs its onto time x 2. We get paid as employees whether work is there or not. Rates are $25 -$30/hr depending on skill level.
Skilled tradies are in demand so there's not trouble getting a job. Hell! I could do with a few. Give me a call if you want to come to Oz!

750 Valve
20-01-2009, 07:32 AM
would be interested in knowing base rates paid in sydney nowadays

going rate for supermarket guys is about $30, the good ones a bit more, like $36-$38 per hour

I think regular commercial guys are up around this these days as well

vwrudi
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I have searched for post like this for hours :(
I`m new and "fresh" here so please dont be angry on me... ;)

My hour rate is 20-26 EUR, sundays and hollydays + 50% up (30-39 EUR)

Wish all you, all the best!!

coolhibby1875
12-06-2009, 06:50 PM
hi taz can you send on the name of companies where you will get £16/£25 per hour to fix fridges?

Magoo
13-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Hillbilly.
You are between a rock and a hard spot, and you are also being screwed.
It comes down to life style choice.
Here in NZ., we are paid to be there and paid accordingly for hours worked, after 40 hours , we are paid at time and a half up to three hours per call, double time after that on same call. Add on-call allowances per week, add vehivcle supplied fuel card mobile phone, add rostered between all service guys, each callout minimum 3 hours at 1.5 rate, plus plus what ever time envolved. Taxes include medical primary cover, personal choice for added stuff and family.
So it is not too hard for a senior type serviceman to gross 100K per year.
The next option is to be self employed and charge higher rates er call/hour. You are paid by the hour charged.
magoo

FreezerGeezer
13-06-2009, 09:53 AM
750's pay sounds the same as mine, we probably work for the same bunch! :O

In Oz your pay & conditions will probably vary between states. Most largerr firms (No experience of smaller ones) use the EBA system where the co. negotiates with the unions every 3 or 4 years & sets the T&C for the next period. Unlike the U.K. there is no room for individual negotiation in this system.
As a tech I also get a 4L straight 6 Ford Falcon Ute, fully expensed by the co. (The only time I pay anything is holiday fuel. Benefit in kind tax is paid by the employer, not the employee.) Company phone, as per the U.K. they keep an eye on your bills, but there's no benefit in kind tax on it afaik. Super (pension) is compulsory - you may use your own fund or join the company fund. You do njot need to pay anything - the co. pays 9% min.

However, You have to supply a lot more gear here than the U.K. Gauges are considered basic hand tools for e.g. Some firms will expect you to supply your own electrical instruments or more. My boss provides us with hose (for washing out condensers - all the supermarkets I've seen have water supplies to the roof), Megger, 240V drill, RCD'd extension lead, clamp meter, Nitro guage, magnahellic guage, and the PPE.

desA
14-06-2009, 06:06 AM
Paid weekly, very weekly. :(

DALO
23-07-2009, 11:06 AM
This is a very interesting post. Working in Sydney in the commercial A/C environment ive found most companies pay 38-40 hour week ,either RDO or sometimes +2 hour overtime or even +2 hours flat rate. Wages have froze at $32 an hour. Rate of 1.5 first 2 hours of O/T and after that double.
However what i have witnessed is several companies only give you a maintenance list of 80 hours a month and claim you should generate the other 80 yourself.
Ill leave this to your imagination how you do this. Guys who dont are quickly forced out of the company.
I asked a colleague if this was common practice in the industry and he informed me it was widespread and some companies (i wont name them, but they are well known) wouldnt pay you if you didnt get your full quota of hours in. On top of that they would force you take holidays or leave without pay.