PDA

View Full Version : Ducted Trane problems!

sinewave
06-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Guy's

We've had a call from a client who has two twin fan 16kW Trane condensors feeding two ducted units in a shop.

They've reported that one of the units is leaking water from the indoor ducted unit and it has brought a few tiles down.

The client is a fair way away and my problem is the units are and have been on heating for months now so where is the water being generated from inside the unit?

Apparently the unit only starts to leak after 3 or 4 hours of operation and is performing satisfactorily by all accounts as the shop owner actualy has his own air temp probe and has been round all the ducted outlet grills and found that all were giving an air off temp of +22 degrees C with a -9C external temp

I'd like a few ideas of what may be the problem before a long drive! :rolleyes:

Any ideas chaps?

Brian_UK
06-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Possibly a problem happening during defrost perhaps??

Any drain traps may be empty having dried out during all that heating in the ceiling void. No water in the trap means that any condense may not drain away but pool in the coil drip tray.

Good luck with it anyway.

frank
06-01-2009, 08:55 PM
As it's operating in heating mode, i would doubt any moisture is present. As Brian said, it may be during defrost.
I'm not really familiar with trane splits so I don't know if the tev is on the outdoor or indoor.

I think I would be checking the pipe insulation as well as other extraneous sources of the leak, i.e. pipes above, leaking building etc.

sinewave
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
I'm thinking you both may be right!

From memory the condensate drain from both internal units runs outside in 22mm to a T piece from the 22mm that runs from the drain pans under the outdoor units.

It's possible I spose due to the low ambient temps at the mo that the 22mm from the T onwards is frozen solid and that on defrost from the outdoor unit the warmer water is back flowing internaly in to the ducted units drain pans and then overflowing? :confused:

Lets hope so eh! :)

rude
07-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Could it be water leaking from rain going through the roof?

sinewave
11-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Cheers Frank & Brian you were on the money.

Outside 22mm drain was frozen up as it was quite a run to the 4" drain.

Internal A/H was virtual level with the T piece under the external condensor tray.

Defrosting was causing the water from the tray to backflow in to the internal unit and then overflowing!

Quick hacksawing of the 22mm untill the weather warmed up cured it for now.

:p

Brian_UK
11-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Well done Sinewave and thanks for the update.

frank
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Quick hacksawing of the 22mm untill the weather warmed up cured it for now.

:p

I don't want any of that when we get to Weston in a couple of weeks time :D

(looking like w/c 19th but depending on confirmation of kit delivery) ;):p I'll let you know

sinewave
13-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Nay probs Frank, I keep the cowboy antics for stuff outa guarantee! :cool: