PDA

View Full Version : employment in uk

hillbillywillie
06-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi. I'm currently working as a refrigeration service tech in the USA, but would like to move back to the UK.
Are there plenty of jobs to be had for service techs' especially in Scotland? Is it a good number in the UK?
Would American qualifications be accepted in the UK?
I do mostly supermarket refrigeration.

Thanks.

multisync
06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi. I'm currently working as a refrigeration service tech in the USA, but would like to move back to the UK.
Are there plenty of jobs to be had for service techs' especially in Scotland? Is it a good number in the UK?

Thanks.

No,no
No
No

Good luck

Check the busy thread...

Multisync
London

fowlie
06-01-2009, 08:39 PM
theirs still loads of jobs up in the north east of scotland for supermarket engineers and a/c,good pay conditions and doubt there would be any issues on qualifications.
:)

multisync
06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
theirs still loads of jobs up in the north east of scotland for supermarket engineers and a/c,good pay conditions and doubt there would be any issues on qualifications.
:)

He hasn't got a safe handling certificate so there would be issues with his qualifications:(

brunstar
06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
yeah well safe handling he can get in a day if he has a full license, half of the guys i speak to each day are bred into the trade and have no qualifications.
I think if he does the safe handling certification he will be fine!

hillbillywillie
06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't know what safe handling cert. is. Is it a refrigerant handling cert? If so, I have a full EPA refrigerant handling cert. here.

hillbillywillie
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
here's the script-I left Scotland to live in America, and now want to return with the wife and kids. I went to college here for two years and got an associates degree in the HVACR trade.
I went to college at night and worked for a refrigeration co. during the day.
I passed my unlimited journeymans exam and got a full license in 2003.
I've been working on mostly supermarket racks, conventionals, hospital equipment, some restaurant and some small spot cases.
I've been working on supermarket a/c package units/air handlers/ gas heat units too.
I've a certificate for Puron handling too.
Will it be worth coming home at 47?

hillbillywillie
06-01-2009, 10:16 PM
We work 80 + hours a week in the summer months usually, and the temps here can get up to 100+ degrees f.

fowlie
06-01-2009, 10:29 PM
haha were lucky if it goes above 77f,100f would kill us jocks.a gas handling certificate is needed to prove your safe to handle refrigerant,the cousre is a doddle as i dont think anyone has ever failed one.most employers will put you through one as it can be done in half a day,most important thing to have is a clean driving licence.the hours inafraid are about the same during the summer

hillbillywillie
06-01-2009, 10:36 PM
where dae ye work fowlie?
Dae ye think ma yank journeyman certificate wid be a richt ower in Scotland?

fowlie
06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
between dundee and aberdeen

taz24
06-01-2009, 11:25 PM

Thanks.

Journeyman
A person who has successfully served a formal apprenticeship in a building trade or craft and who is thereby qualified to work at that trade in another’s employ. A journeyman’s license (earned through a combination of education, supervised experience, and examination) is required in many locales for those employed at an intermediate level in certain trades, such as plumbing, mechanical work, and electrical work.

I would think that with your experience you would have no problems finding work.
You will have to achieve a safe handling qualification but all refrigeration trades willhave to renew their qualifications within the next few years so you will not be on your own.

Try someone like City

http://www.city-holdings.co.uk/

Cheers taz

hillbillywillie
07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
thanks for that Taz.

Mozambezi
12-01-2009, 06:32 PM
U can do Fast Track course in Leeds or Bath City College for x000 pounds for 1-2 weeks. It is not NVQ, but who bothers? And u will get the job. /in any case don't follow into FM company/.

hillbillywillie
12-01-2009, 10:49 PM
don't follow into FM company? I don't know what that is.

Mozambezi
13-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Here are two types of companies.... Service companies and Facility Management companies. Last ones are taking engineers, because of legal requirement of business. But job itself would be clean toilets and if u're lucky, once in 2 months have look on A/C or fridge.

taz24
13-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Here are two types of companies.... Service companies and Facility Management companies. Last ones are taking engineers, because of legal requirement of business. But job itself would be clean toilets and if u're lucky, once in 2 months have look on A/C or fridge.

There are a lot of FM companies out there and to say that you will be a toilet unblocker is a bit of a general statement.
Some FM companies do expect the staff to be diverse in there work but most have designated trades within the company and as a fridge engineer you will get treated better than most.

The simple reason is that up till now there are more fridge jobs in the UK than there are engineers to do the work so companies have to be good to fridge guys or they will and do walk.

The climate has changed in the last few months though and companies are getting ready for a hard time, what with the buissness climate the way it is.

Hard times ahead for all.:eek:

Cheers taz.

Mozambezi
13-01-2009, 08:27 PM
The climate has changed in the last few months though and companies are getting ready for a hard time, what with the business climate the way it is.

Hard times ahead for all.:eek:

Cheers taz.

Hard times, Taz. No job now. Many good service companies running down now.

taz24
14-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Hard times, Taz. No job now. Many good service companies running down now.

That is true and I hope you get work soon.
The one thing in our favour is that the work still needs doing and fridge guys are still needed.
In ACR's Jan edition there are at least 30 jobs on offer for the right person.

With the F gas directive putting the owness on the customer to ensure they use only qualified refrigeration engineers, means that companies need us now more than ever.

Cheers taz.

richi
16-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Why are FM companies known as cleaning guys, itdoes bring dis-respect

fridgemandan
17-01-2009, 01:37 PM
if u are looking for work we are looking at taking another 5 engineers on in scotland, msg me if u are interested

hillbillywillie
17-01-2009, 02:29 PM
yes, I'm interested fridgemandan.

How do i send you my email address??

Mozambezi
26-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Why are FM companies known as cleaning guys, itdoes bring dis-respect

Well... here is example... about BIG FM company. Me... going on site, finding Mitsu Multi lacking of gas and expiriencing liquid on suction goes into compressor reporting to FM big boss. Big boss says : have you left it working - yes, but u will pay soon thousands for compressor... Then big boss says... what will happen, will happen... rather deciding recharging option. F***ing duno. :rolleyes:

Mozambezi
13-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Dalkia FM is looking for 2 a/c guys to work with t
Tube in North London. 29k