PDA

View Full Version : First repair

baycuclaudyu
06-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I m wondering , what is your story. What is the first refrigeration equipment repair for each of you .My story from the beginning is I repair freezers .Now I repair chillers after ten years profession,one centrifugal compressor ... is more too say ... I wait to say your story .

Gary
06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
My older brother worked at an ice cream factory. He brought home an old chest type ice cream freezer that blew the fuses every time it was plugged in. It sat there in the basement for a long time until I got around to taking it apart. I found that the wires going to the compressor terminals were brittle and touching each other. I separated the wires back to where the insulation was soft and wrapped each wire with an excessive amount of electrical tape. It worked for many years after that.

However, the washing machine did not survive the surgery.

I was 9 years old at the time.

I got yelled at a lot. Dad considered my mechanical aptitude to be a mixed blessing.

Marcus harding
07-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I m wondering , what is your story. What is the first refrigeration equipment repair for each of you .My story from the beginning is I repair freezers .Now I repair chillers after ten years profession,one centrifugal compressor ... is more too say ... I wait to say your story .
When I was growing up my dad had his own business and use to bring old 'scotsman' ice makers home and we use to have a loads of fun messing with them as he would create a fault and I would diagnose and repair them

taz24
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM

My dad was a fridge man and I used to go out on calls with him from being about 8 or 9. My first repair was an ice cream van, I was about 14. I rebrazed the snaped capilary tube back into the suction pipe and could not work out why the thing would not work. It kept flooding back and would not take a full charge.
My dad rescued me when he explaned that the capilary actualy connects to the capilary running inside the suction pipe and not just brazed into the suction.
Together we reconected the capilary and then charged the system and ran it OK.

Good times.

Cheers taz

Royal241
16-12-2009, 04:47 AM
My dad was a refrigeration engineer on a fishing boat originating from Romania. Eventually he got off in New York, that was in 1974. I grew up without a father figure, at 19 I reunited with him and picked up his trade. First job I think was fixing a reach-in door...then I realized is not a job, is helping other people and getting rewarded for it. That was 20 years ago. My dad passed away this July and blamed sniffing too much refrigerant for the cancer that did him in. I don't want the same way out, since 93 we recover all refrigerant, but sometimes we all know what we have to do, we have to get to the source and stop the leak, it's sad to see the fireman with the oxigen mask on looking at the leak and we just walk in and isolate the leak. Please, don't sniff any more *****, slow painfull death is waiting...Noroc si bine va urez eu Daniel.

tony--1
16-12-2009, 09:01 AM
my first job in this trade was dismantling a frozen coldroom sum 50m +40m+10m . a bit of angle fell and split my head open . blood running down my face . i cryed like a baby lol ....i was 17 at the time and thought i was going to die . didnt get sent home tho . my boss was a hard man . luved it since then and never looked back . still luv it now sum 22yrs on .

Silhouette
17-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Dad was a fridgie, helped out on weekends,school hols etc. liked it so got a YTS job at T.H.Wathes when I left school, not looked back since! :D

kev99
24-12-2009, 11:03 AM
my grandad was a fridgie i used to go in at weekends to help/hinder as the case might be ,when it came time to leave school had an apprenticeship ,i dont think this could happen now with health and saftey

MIKE DIXON
24-12-2009, 01:21 PM
my dad was a milk man, suggested i learn hvac. that was 40 years ago, he is with me now both him and mom, hes 84 and mom is 80. im very lucky

jpsmith1cm
24-12-2009, 10:14 PM
My dad was a refer guy, too. Do I sense a pattern here???

Anyway.

My first call out was called in as an ice cream case down. I was 20 years old and had been learning for about a year.

Got to the store almost an hour later and the manager is beside himself.

The WHOLE RACK was down.

Spent a while trying to find a leak and was forced to conclude that the relief valve had opened.

I wound up calling for backup simply because I didn't have my CFC certificate at that time.

I always wish the newbies a call like that, though. There is nothing quite like being thrown in over your head...

cadwaladr
25-12-2009, 12:04 AM
so long ago,itwas for one of the early tk dealers all the fridges we fixed in the early days were used by the irish and europeans [we were not in the club then]good fun in those days,the irish were the best top of the range scania,s volvo f88 and a tin of easy start and the clog,s so funny.

spimps
25-12-2009, 12:48 AM
Parents were farmers,I hated farm work and signed on at technical college at 15 for 1 years engineering course then did 5 years apprenticship,gas and parafin absorption fridges were my first hands on work.

abet_meneses
25-12-2009, 11:41 AM
experience on the trade start as an apprentice on small repair shops .do cleaning window a/c ,and as helper repairing domestic refrigerators.and that was two decades ago.nice to recall those times when refrigerant was still cheap like refrigerant 12 and has easy time recharging refrigerators without much hassle unlike the present 134 A.

tonyhavcr
27-12-2009, 07:25 PM
When I was 7 I would take every thing apart they never did go back the same way or work long after.

The one thing I got the most form was when I gave my first car a tune up
I started the job by pulling all the plug wires and plugs it took a long time to get the old beater box to work with help after that I labeled every thing and I
do mean every thing first pulse I would draw it.
After that things would work for many yr. lol

This is not my first trade experience as asked but it is what made me who I'm now.