PDA

View Full Version : Carrier/APAC Closing factory?

MadMax
05-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Hi Guys,

I just heard that here (Australia), Carrier/APAC have just closed their manufacturing plant in Perth.

Apparently they will not be manufacturing larger split ducted or any rooftop package units out of there.

They will continue to inport small split ducted units but will not make anything else (gas heaters & evaps uneffected apparently).

Also just heard that in Melbourne they have retrenched their sales staff.

Any word from any one else in Australia? Any truth to this?

unibar
05-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi Madmax, Have not heard any news, if this is true then only Temperzone left for large split and package, not good.

cool_tech
05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
hey guys.
apacs were so simple and easy to work on . i hope they dont bring in cheap and nastys

brunstar
05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
yeah well i haven't heard that they are closing but it wouldn't suprise me if they import only for quoted jobs, this is good for daikin as they just opened a new manufacturing plant in Sydney.
there are still a few companies that have some good units though.
Actron, Daikin,Mc Quay, Mitsi, although i know what you mean as the Apacs were good to work on.
May be cheaper to ship them in from Mexico..

dave hammo
08-01-2009, 07:27 AM
gday madmax ive also heard about apac shutting up shop to my reckonning that will only leave actron air and temperzone units over 22kw in aust

AndrewB
19-03-2009, 10:28 AM
It is a shame to see APAC / Carrier go, they made a good, fairly bullet proof unit, not to mention the engineering of custom made, and re-makes of old units. We have used a couple of Actronair units lately which don't seem to be too bad but they don't custom make and I don't think they are quite the same quality.

rude
20-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I think they will still sell them here, its just manufactoring has gone over seas.

JDHVAC
21-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Hey guys,

It truly is sad to see the closure of APAC.
In my experience, within the last few years I found many problems with leaks in Condenser Coils moreso in package units.
Having said that, they are are great unit to work on, and great to train apprentices with.

Parts are now becoming expensive and sometimes difficult to purchase.
Unit specifics such as PC boards, Coils and fan decks are much more expensive than they were.

Some mechanics are bypassing the sundowner PC boards, and replacing it with relays and a defrost timer. However news on the mechanical defrost timers show that they are no longer in production, and no company has taken on producing them.

As for the coils, Carrier (& Totaline) are purchasing these from overseas. The cost is high and the delivery time is long.
I found I could order coils through Heatcraft simply by forms you need to fill out with the appropriate measurements.

The benefits are that they are made in Australia, The delivery time is much shorter than ordering elsewhere, and the cost isn't beyond what its worth.

I have also heard Brivis have the rights to APAC parts.

I hope this informations helps.

lowcool
21-12-2009, 10:34 AM
i thought brivis and carrier were the same.
it is sad that they are folding here by the sounds of it.
i always believed that frigipol and apac supported manuerop,its a good thing emerson have taken over as we will have more anchors

Sridhar1312
21-12-2009, 12:47 PM
cheaper to export from China and most of the Manufacturers are going there as you cannot sell in China without having manufacturing set ups thus most of them shifting the MFG base to China to meet the local demand as well as other markets.

Rob54
25-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this topic!

I have a customer with an Apac sundowner 9kw ducted split, However the condensor has commited suicide after a massive storm, the Fan Coil unit is working perfectley!
Does anyone here know if there are any other condensors that are compatible with apac fan coils?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

AUcooler
27-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi Rob, im not sure what you mean by failure after storm. If its just an electronics failure then there are several controls that can be used regardless of brand. Ive updated many old units Carrier, York, Emailair etc with a "HANL6.2" or Hanwest controller that is priced quite well through temperzone. If you need a whole condensing unit then Uni-Aire are often a good choice as they are not weighed down with electronics. You can just cut out any old expansion devices. Insulate both pipes and your off and running. At only 9kw though your probably better off just updating with a full package.

Slugracing
19-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Hey guys,

Some mechanics are bypassing the sundowner PC boards, and replacing it with relays and a defrost timer. However news on the mechanical defrost timers show that they are no longer in production, and no company has taken on producing them.

Here are a few options to replace the electronics with.

EDF-02A Defrost Control (http://www.mjbcontrols.com.au/index.php?q=node/7)

ACCS-1 (http://www.mjbcontrols.com.au/index.php?q=node/30)

T
M

vnck8798
21-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Its pretty upset to know Apac had closed down in Australia.

Recently, I have ordered some air cool stuff and chilled water units from Dunnair for a new project in Queensland. The quality is good, and the price is really competitive in the market.

They are not a new brand, some one with ages experience in HVAC must have heard of it. They are growing pretty well recently. I am not sure the feedback from other states in Aussie, but their Queensland office is doing pretty good job.

It can be a new option besides those big names like Daikin,Mc Quay, Mitsi and temperzone.

Slugracing
29-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Dunn Air units are from China

lowcool
08-10-2010, 12:31 AM
what doesnt come from china apart from buffalo evaps ?

Slugracing
03-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Diamond units ....

paul_h
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
what doesnt come from china apart from buffalo evaps ?
Things from thailand!
nice spamming of your crappy chinese units vnck8798, dunnair sucks.

Magoo
04-02-2011, 05:44 AM
feel compelled to reply to an old post about the demize of apac/carrier.
The americans do not give a ratz arz about anything if on the stock exchange. Companies are a number, non-performing numbers are deleted. Fact.
Check out the Kirby empire, shifted production to off shore, add the fizz and burn factor, basically crappppp.
Anyone in a production / manufacturing roll is stuffed. Labour costs are too high. Thanks to dumbing down with no training and to some extent unions.
We all become consumers of imports, if we don't have an effective income to support the out goings, well the answer is obvious. We all fly up our own armpits and mortgages.
the real plus is as local service providers we can be well paid.