PDA

View Full Version : Flute Frost

Steve Wright
29-12-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm afraid to ask this question but does anybody know what flute frost is?

Toosh
29-12-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm afraid to ask this question but does anybody know what flute frost is?

Hi Steve, here is a dictionary of Refrigeration Terms scroll down till you reach flute

http://www.efftec.com/dictionary.html

Norm :D

Grizzly
29-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi Steve, here is a dictionary of Refrigeration Terms scroll down till you reach flute

http://www.efftec.com/dictionary.html

Norm :D
What a neat link, thanks Toosh.
Grizzly

US Iceman
30-12-2008, 01:31 AM
I thought a flute was a musical instrument. Now I learn it has to do with liquid moving around the system????

I would like to hear the basis of how this term came to be used. This sounds like another way of saying liquid migration, which makes me wonder why we need another term to describe it???

750 Valve
30-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Quoted from website,

FLUTE: Allows the transfer of liquid refrigerant from the condenser back to the evaporator.

In other words a frickin liquid line??!! This site seems like its based on chillers and their terminology so it leaves me no closer to knowing what the heck a flute looks like (except the instrument as US Iceman mentioned).

Anyone got a pic?

Steve Wright
30-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Grizzly
Thanks for the site.

Toosh
30-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Here is an explanation of flute
http://www.gpx2inc.com/flutevalvebrochure1.jpg

Norm

US Iceman
31-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Now we have a flute valve? This just keeps getting better and better.:D

That flute valve appears to be nothing more than a turbulator to spin the refrigerant against the inside of the pipe! If this is correct, then there should be an associated pressure loss with this also. That means if installed in a suction line to spin the refrigerant to catch the oil the suction pressure at the compressor will be lower. This results in less capacity, potentially higher discharge temperatures, higher pressure ratios, etc.

If this is installed in a liquid line you could loose subcooling (if it was present) or cause flashing (if no subcooling is present).

The link speaks of oil return issues, which this is supposed to correct. My thought is; if the piping is designed properly you do not need gadgets.

From what I see, this is another mouse trap.

750 Valve
31-12-2008, 09:23 AM
The link speaks of oil return issues, which this is supposed to correct. My thought is; if the piping is designed properly you do not need gadgets.

From what I see, this is another mouse trap.

+1 - not required with properly designed pipework. I find it hard to believe (as suggested by the link) that oil will pool in the 90° bends of a liquid line while the system is operational. Absolute sh!te

Toosh
31-12-2008, 10:16 AM
HI, Don`t shoot the messenger the guy asked a question i gave the answer its up to him what he does with it, far be it for me to say its right or wrong, personally it brings flash gas to mind

Norm

US Iceman
31-12-2008, 10:05 PM
No one is shooting at the messenger Toosh.;)

I just find these sorts of devices fun to read about.

Some of these seem to produce magical effects, save energy, increase equipment life, and reduce global warming. Let's see did I forget anything they seem to promise....:D

Steve Wright
02-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow I didnt know I was going to get a throwdown started.

Seriously other info I have gotten describes the flute as the short tube between the cond/economizer or cond/evap inlet on a water cooled chiller. I'm sure there is more to the story.

US Iceman I think I'll take two XDX devices and put them in series with this flute device and see what I get. They said Georgia Power will send me a check evertime i runn the unit it saves so much money.

Toosh just proved if you make it they will buy it. I went to the site it is a bonnafied ad and everything. I almost ordered one.

Steve

US Iceman
02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
US Iceman I think I'll take two XDX devices and put them in series with this flute device and see what I get. They said Georgia Power will send me a check evertime i runn the unit it saves so much money.

That would not surprise me one bit. Some of these prescriptive grants/incentives have been marketed towards these types of snake oil devices. Buy one, install it, and get a check in return.

I wonder what Georgia Power would say if you put a dozen of these in-line and then asked for the incentive checks? What would the customer say with his great reduction in energy savings?

He could save more energy by turning off the unit!

Either way, the refrigeration effect will be less.;)

US Iceman
02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
The name flute must have been used since the liquid line is the smallest line in the system. Then when the liquid line goes through a pump down, the line downstream of the solenoid begins to frost. Hence the name flute frost??

I don't think you started a throwdown, just a lively discussion on something unique.