69 L x1
recovery x1

ofn x 2
oxy acc
:eek:

Latte
22-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Hello Bernard,
Yes, There is a limit to the gas you can carry it's called the maximum permissable weight of your'e van.
I carry 2x22, 2x404, 1x134, 1x408, 1x409, 2xofn, 1xreclaim and small oxy/acl.

I am lucky that i have quite a large van, Vauxhall Vivaro which can cope but if i had anything smaller, Expert,Belingo etc i would be overweight.

At the end of the day it is your'e licence if you are doubtful get your'e van weighed (Fully loaded ie Full bottles)
You have to play it by ear, can you get gas locally, if so you don't need to keep your'e van full all of the time.

Regards

Raymond

chemi-cool
22-03-2004, 08:24 PM
what size bottles you guys are using?

chemi

bernard
22-03-2004, 08:24 PM
hi raymond

I have vw transporter

The question was aimed more at the legal amount i.e whether a vent fan on roof is required after a certain amount. I know you need to have cosh sheets in your van for the various chemicals we carry i.e gas, grease gobbler hydro-coil, endo flush etc. but I don,t think its law to have the red and green sticker on back. Its a grey area, but I shall look it to it more.

P.s have you managed to find the best panelling system yet, I get a new van every 2 years and every time I wish I had pannelled it a little bit different

regards

bernard

co

Latte
22-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Hi Chemi - Small Dumpies 9-11kg easy to move about
Hi Bernard, Dont know on VW's but my vauxhall is kitted out by Sortimon Station - wessex in Salisbury

Regards

Raymond

MikeJ160175
25-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Done the BOC course and they reckon by law that you should have roof and floor ventilation if you are to carry any ammount of gas in your vechicle. Applies to cars and vans....

Also supposed to have a steel bulkhead between you and your bottles... which kinda kills the argument for estate cars as opposed to vans...

Mike. :)

bernard
26-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi mike

I have spoken to SWM and NRS they both agree there is a law out there but everyone is very vague to what the actual law is,I guess we will probably fined out when some one is done.Have you also seen the paper work you need to fill in if you want to take a large full recovery cylinder back. :eek:

Bernard

Alan B
27-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Hi All,
As I understand it, for small vans,the limits are:
4 cyl of 47Kg or greater
12cyl in the 5Kg to 20Kg range
25cyl of less than 5Kg capacity
and the total number of cylinders in a load is limited by the number permitted for the size of the largest cyl - i.e. if youv'e got a 47Kg cyl on board you can only carry a total of 4 cyl.
Alan B.

jan behnke
27-05-2004, 07:30 AM
Hi all
It is a Europe directive you must have the warning triangle on you van, if you have a accident and it is found you did not have them on and your van went up in smoke, the insurance company will not pay out. I carry the same amount of gas but have a full size oxcey kit plus 2 N2 bottles I drive a Peugeot expert its 10kg below its limit so no passengers and keep my lunch box small

chemi-cool
27-05-2004, 08:09 AM
hi jan,

very ineresing gas problems you have over there.
I'm reading and learning.

what about if you have a trailer to carry your heavy gas bottles? is it leagal?

that the way I do it over here so I can keep the van with spares and tools only and of course a larger lunch box :D

chemi

Karl Hofmann
27-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Could be that they are covered by the laws governing the transport of hazardous goods by road (ADR) I shall try and rummage my old ADR training books out when I have a little more time.

Argus
27-05-2004, 11:50 PM
It is not what you carry, but how safely you carry it and how you obey the rules. Obviously you must not overload your vehicle beyond its safe or specified load imit.

The carriage of gas cylinders, flammable or not, by road in vans, small trailers and cars is a grey area to most folk, simply through the lack of prosecutions. Thankfully there are few incidents.

Also consider what routes are also prohibited to you. Some tunnels, ferries etc are closedor have rules on carriage of certain goods.

In terms of regulation, you may be thinking of the following UK legislation.

2004 No. 568 HEALTH AND SAFETY
?The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2004?

You can read a version on the HMSO website:

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/cgi-bin/htm_hl.pl?DB=hmso-new&STEMMER=en&WORDS=transport+ga+regul+&COLOUR=Red&STYLE=s&URL=http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2004/20040568.htm#muscat_highlighter_first_match.

If in doubt, the best course is to consult your motor insurance. If you are not insured you are in deep trouble.

In any case, it is the driver who is responsible for his load and is prosecuted if there is an incident, not his manager or employer.

If in doubt you are entitled to seek written instructions from your manager. This is best done in writing as it is usually ignored.
________
Mazda Verisa history (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazda_Verisa)