PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Timing

Brian_UK
26-12-2008, 11:47 PM
:off topic:
Not related to the AC world but I thought I would share anyway.

Had a pretty good Christmas day up until about 3pm when my heating and hot water boiler packed up.

Out with the manual, no real help, found some dry joints on the control PCB but repairing them didn't help.

So, we've just got to wait until the merchants open up again and get some new parts ordered; a quiet prayer will be raised to speed delivery.

Anyway the sales at B&Q have helped keep the cost down of buying temporary electric heaters and the gas fire is working overtime in the lounge.

It's the washing with cold water that upsets me first thing in the morning, but, hey, we'll survive :D

Pyr0Beast
27-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Cold joints need to be completely cleaned of the old solder then inspected for oxidation/corrosion and cleaned if necessary, wetted with flux and resoldered properly.

Reflowing all of the joints might cure the thing.

Grizzly
27-12-2008, 11:23 AM
:off topic:
Not related to the AC world but I thought I would share anyway.

Had a pretty good Christmas day up until about 3pm when my heating and hot water boiler packed up.

Out with the manual, no real help, found some dry joints on the control PCB but repairing them didn't help.

So, we've just got to wait until the merchants open up again and get some new parts ordered; a quiet prayer will be raised to speed delivery.

Anyway the sales at B&Q have helped keep the cost down of buying temporary electric heaters and the gas fire is working overtime in the lounge.

It's the washing with cold water that upsets me first thing in the morning, but, hey, we'll survive :D

Sorry to read the above Brian.
Time for friends and family to rally around.
Sadly as I think you already know services that are normally adequate.
Leave a lot to be desired at this time of year.
( At least you are ticketed to repair it yourself, It could be worse and you would have to pay someone else to do it! Argh!
Good Luck anyway.
Grizzly

Brian_UK
28-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, got my heating and hot water back again.

Usual thing, it's cheaper to replace than repair. The cost of parts for my dead boiler was in the region of £290; a fan and a PCB.

Saw an advert from B&Q on Saturday for a combi condensing boiler, with season discount, for £245, add a flue and the total is £275.

We are ignoring my labour costs here because it's for my benefit.

So today, Sunday, was spent picking up the boiler and a few fittings, strip out the old boiler (no puns please ;) ) and have lunch.

Afternoon and early evening spent fitting the new and re-piping because, of course all the pipes are in a different layout from before.

Test the gas and water connections, power it up and away we go. Heat and hot water = happy wife and cat.

Damn, forgot to go fishing this afternoon and it's back to work tomorrow :(

Plank!
30-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Had the same thing happen to me twice now, about 10 years ago heating/water failed on boxing day.
That ended up needing a new boiler for similar reasons, since then i've moved house twice and not had problems until last week.
This time only the hot water divertor valve failed, heating is fine, unless the hot water taps are turned on too far, then the gas cuts out :S
Since the outdoor temp is around -2c to +4c i can cope with having the heating on when running baths, but after the 5th when i'm back to work its new boiler time. I don't see the point in repairing a system that old, new ones are more efficient, combined with the scale from the hard water here and i'm sure I'll save money getting a newer unit.
Why christmas tho?

Steve

Brian_UK
30-12-2008, 06:50 PM
,snip>
Why christmas tho?

Steve
'Cos it's Sods Law, that's why :D

Plank!
30-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Sounds about right :(