PDA

View Full Version : Boarding

djbe
24-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Anyone on here snowboard?

Reflexive
24-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Yep, been at it for a long time since my knees went bad and skiing became a major problem.
Honestly having more fun then when I skiied.

djbe
24-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you find it easy to pick up after skiing? A few skiiers that i have spoken to that tried boarding said it was really hard to change disciplines?

Reflexive
24-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Need to realize the muscle controls much different, if you try and push the board like you push skiies, you'll find it painful.
And the first thing to learn is how to fall, where on skiies you don't want to fall, on a board its easy as literally sitting down. Start with a helmet as well until your comfortable.

superswill
25-12-2008, 02:44 AM
i wanna give it a try,any links/leads welcome

Reflexive
25-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Rent a good board first off, something very flexible. Coming from skies your used to flexibility and push in the ankles, so get a park board and use it for riding instead. The extra stretch and bend in the core will make you happy.

Do not get snap ins, you want strap ins. It will be a much nicer rider when your strapped in and can adjust your tension.

djbe
26-12-2008, 05:39 PM
i wanna give it a try,any links/leads welcome

How far are you away from the snowdome at Tamworth?

They do a range of lessons to get you up to what they call a recreational standard. This basically means that you will know how to go, stop and turn the board in a controlled manner.

Look them up at: www.snowdome.co.uk.

I learnt there a couple of years ago and the instructors are a friendly bunch.

The prices do include hire of boots, board and helmet so you haven't got to worry about shelling out for gear before finding out if it is for you.

Once you have reached recreational standard you can just go up anytime and enjoy yourself:D:D

Best time to learn at Tamworth is during the summer months as it is a lot quieter. This time of year it is rammed with people getting in last minute practice before they go away and it can be a bit intimidating as a learner seeing a boarder or skier heading for you at what seems like a million miles an hour!!!!