PDA

View Full Version : I am confused

CHIEF DELPAC
22-12-2008, 05:59 PM
hi. I was wondering why I get a cold draught off of my basement (cellar) window when the 2nd law of thermodynamics (I think its the 2nd) says that heat goes from hot to cold. Yours in refrgeration CHIEF DELPAC

malik55
22-12-2008, 06:34 PM
Your room is in negative pressure so out side cold air enters your room ,
it is so simple :cool:

US Iceman
22-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Think of the window glass being a heat sink.

The heat flows to the cold glass and is transmitted through the glass to the air outside. Since the glass is cold, it cools the inside air, which then becomes more dense. The cold dense air falls setting up a natural convection current which feels like a drafty window (assuming the window is sealed and not leaking air).

This is why you have heating registers and radiators under windows. They help to minimize the feeling of the cold air circulating from the windows.

Gary
22-12-2008, 11:20 PM
hi. I was wondering why I get a cold draught off of my basement (cellar) window when the 2nd law of thermodynamics (I think its the 2nd) says that heat goes from hot to cold. Yours in refrgeration CHIEF DELPAC

Heat also transfers by radiation. You are hot and the window is cold. You radiate heat to the window... and that makes you feel cold.