PDA

View Full Version : Old email DN186H

paul_h
22-12-2008, 08:40 AM
Hello again,
You can tell how busy I am due to the amount of new threads I'm making here :)
If it's a fuji, LG, samsung, pana or mitsubishi, I know my stuff, but I'm getting swamped with carriers, airwells and the like at the moment.
I've got an old email ducted DN186H that has the outdoor PCB playing up, basically it just runs everything, fan, r/v and compressor all the time. I've disconnected it's inputs from the indoor board so it's receiving no signal from the indoor to run anything, but it's all still running on the outdoor.
I've asked around, but the only reply I have so far regarding supplying a new outdoor PCB wanted $990 for the board. At that price I may as well fit a new generic HAN controller, at least it's easier to use and repair than this old email wall controller.

Any ideas where to get old outdoor PCBs or whether this is a fault is easily repairable instead.
I remember doing one a few years ago for my old workplace and they only charged ~$400-500, so they didn't have to pay $990 for an outdoor board!

rude
22-12-2008, 09:20 AM
what we have done with those old email units. (we seem to get swamped with heaps of them aswell) Is to buy a PC Board from an Apac unit (not the CA20, but the yellow coloured board) and use a new thermostat with that. We have used the HEVAC controller with some success forgot the model number but can get it for you if you like.

Board you can get from totaline for around 300 and the Controller from actrol (not sure on price)

nike123
22-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Try to find relays of misbehaving parts and check if relays have control voltage applied. If yes, probably PCB is irreparable, if not, then relays are welded and could be replaced easily.

paul_h
22-12-2008, 10:10 AM
It's not the relays, I only checked with the power off, and none of the relays were welded.

Rude, model numbers would be good. I used to work on temperzones and genaires that use the HAN controller, but never used APAC controllers (not since 1994 have I worked with many APACs)

rude
22-12-2008, 10:25 AM
This is the Apac Board sorry dont have the model

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/123MMM/Image013.jpg

And this is the HEVAC controller Part No. RTC3V
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d193/123MMM/Image0202.jpg

rude
22-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Just thought of another option i have used. Only problem is with this controller is the outdoor board is quite large and may not fit inside the Email condensing unit.

Its a Leasam Controller and you can buy it from australian airconditioning wholesalers. They were in carlisle near the tafe ( its the building that caught on fire) the controllers are worth about 250 bucks and quite easy to install.

http://acwholesalers.com.au/home.html

http://www.airskill.com.au/leasam.html

Theres a link to the differeant models

paul_h
22-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Yeah, they're another one I am used to fitting and was going to look at replacing with. That's the type I've fitted to heaps of units like temperzones, and even a panasonic.
Once I heard the price for the email PCB, I was thinking I could fit these types for less inc labour.

rude
22-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah there a pretty good control system, the only issue would be space to mount it.

Kaiser
24-12-2008, 06:01 AM
The outdoor PCB shown (1st picture) is only a glorified defrost PCB (24vac contol).

Temprite
24-12-2008, 11:46 AM
You probably know this already but heatcraft carry the spares for older emails.

Is it a KRS board?

paul_h
24-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm just looking at options becuase if I replace just the PCB, in the future they may not be available.
I haven't heard back from heatcraft in regards to the three units I asked them about yet. ie this one, the storm 2 PCB for an airwell ducted, and the HA43 package discharge thermistor yet.
The only emails I'm well and truly familiar with were the ones the same as the fujitsus though.

It's a KRS design PCB though.

paul_h
30-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm flat out busy and the owner called yesterday wanting the job done by tomorrow at the latest.
Originally he told my before the 5th of jan as that's house settlement date, so I was looking at fitting a leasam controller to save him some money/easier future repairs, earn more in labour.

But yesterday he said he's leaving town for good on the 1st jan.
I'm flat out and didn't feel like rushing around spending time in a roof when its 38C outside.
So I just fitted a $800 OEM PCB from heatcraft today to suit us both ;D
All is good :D

paul_h
05-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Just bumping this to ask has anyone got any documentation on the old vd00412 etc style thermostats?
I've kind of figured them out, but hate fumbling around with them in front of a customer or answering their questions about them because I really know very little about them and don't know if they ever show up any fault codes, what the zone flashing means etc.

Toosh
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Just bumping this to ask has anyone got any documentation on the old vd00412 etc style thermostats?
I've kind of figured them out, but hate fumbling around with them in front of a customer or answering their questions about them because I really know very little about them and don't know if they ever show up any fault codes, what the zone flashing means etc.

Hi Paul I found this

http://service.airwell.com.au/bulletins/Service%20Bulletins%20Acrobat%20Format/SB042%20Replacing%20a%20VD00412%20T-Stat%20with%20a%20VD00413.pdf

Norm

Robin
12-01-2009, 02:10 AM
These boards were made by Phasefail in Moorabbin Victoria. They can often repair faulty boards quite cheaply.
They were a major problem due to their design. Trouble is they control the de-ice as well so any replacement has to do the same. It would be as cheap to re-design using relays & contactors plus a separate de-ice controller.

MadMax
19-01-2009, 12:53 AM
$990 for a board?!?!??! Call the cops mate - that would be daylight robbery.

Would probably be easier to retro-fit any other kind of board/controller. Unless the existing board has some kind of unit protection functions itself - like HP control and superheat measurement.(like some brands have, in addition to the thermostat).

paul_h
30-07-2009, 11:22 AM
Ok I've got another system and this time I suggested they fit a leasam controller.
All well and good, but the system is going to need a defrost controller now with the old email PCB removed.

What defrost controller should I use? Is there something from actron or apac that is 240V?

Also the system had a piggyback zone control, so I'll need a 24V transformer in the indoor unit to drive all the zone motors. Anyone know what size transformer would be needed to drive 3 small damper motors, they are spring return 200nm I think.

I wish I just replaced the $800 pcb in this case :( I never thought about getting stuck with needing a defrost PCB as well and the wall controller.

paul_h
31-07-2009, 05:12 AM
Anyone used the defrost controller from MJB (EDF-02)?
Comes in a 240v flavour.
Mind you I've found cheap 3A 24V transformers from altech for $28, but I'm already going to buy one of them to run the indoor damper motors.

List price for the MJB defrost is pricey though $220, that's more than the leasam control system costs.
If anyone has bought the MJB PCB, how much do they normally go for, or what are the PCBs from temperzone/APC/actron worth?

edit: anyone used a D7CPU from actron?
http://actroncontrols.com/_literature_34601/D7_Operating_Specifications_Sheet

rude
31-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I know the apac boards are about 300bucks. In this case maby it was better to change the pc board like for like. Or as i posted above use a hevac with the apac board.

paul_h
31-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Nah, I only have to sort this out once, then I know how to do it every time. I hate these old PCBs and thermostats anyway and no doubt I'll come across these a fair few times as the units are OK, just the control sucks. So it's handy to work out a "how-to".

I've even had to replace a panasonic ducted control system with a leasam before as the control PCB was no longer available. But of course I could use the outdoor units defrost control in all previous cases, can't with the email units though. SO of course I want to design a replacement that will work with any future units if parts aren't available.

edit:
leasam controller for the I/U is ~$200.
Actrol called back and said the MJB defrost controller is $140.

With any luck I can find a spare wire to feed the indoor fan neutral back to the outdoor for defrost cycles.

It's only the zone control that stuffed me up proper on this unit, I'll know better next time. But at least I know where to get cheap transformers now. I'l just replace the zone controller with a triple light switch and fit a fused 24v transformer in the indoor to power it.
Then the unit will be simple and future proofed for about the same price as a dodgy email control system that may give many headaches in the future.

oldgit
31-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Are you talking about an Airwell DN186H unit? if so then the reason why the unit continues to run with the outputs disconnected is because it will just do what the last command asked for. You will have to either give new instructions to the PCB and test and/or (most likely) replace the PCB. You can contact Airwell UK via their website to get spares. If not then Airwell France.

Ricky Howell
28-09-2009, 02:29 AM
If your looking for more info on the D7 or any of the Leasam Controls

call 1300 135 735

talk to Peter Carter