PDA

View Full Version : The Big Ones Are Crumbling..

Brian_UK
19-12-2008, 11:34 PM
I haven't heard about the rest of the country yet but my dear employer, Carillion, is closing the Newton Abbot branch office. Staff being made redundant. :mad::mad:

What is it with big firms, bad news and Christmas ?

Looks like I'm going to tasked out of Manchester, nice and local :rolleyes:

Anybody need a couple of good administrators around the Torbay area ?

multisync
19-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I haven't heard about the rest of the country yet but my dear employer, Carillion, is closing the Newton Abbot branch office. Staff being made redundant. :mad::mad:

Not more than 3 months ago the main man at Crillion was on 5live saying they were protected as they had so much huge utility work programmed in they were recession proof...BS of course but sounded good at the time.

This will get worse and worse and worse but won't really impact till end of 2009. Then the depression will start and we will be in for such hard times we simply have no comprehension. Robert Mugabe said he was proud that the UK & USA were copying his monetary policies -IE printing money ever faster. That will cause rapid inflation and devaluation of the £ such as what happened to Germany in the 1930's..

Be afraid, be very afraid..

Multisync
London

Grizzly
20-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Brian.
When was this announced?
I assume like Carrier and JCI they have yet to hit their tradesmen?
Grizzly

US Iceman
20-12-2008, 05:01 PM

I understand this is a terrible time for any unpleasant news. I went through the same thing about 15 years ago. I was offered a move to a different department or start packing 2 weeks before Christmas. With motivation like that it's not difficult to make a decision.

I think they start looking at the year end numbers and finally realize they need to do something to keep their jobs, so they take it from the little people.:(

NoNickName
20-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Rumours are that 1 or 2 compressor manufacturers will file for protection and will let some workers into welfare wage integration.

Brian_UK
20-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear that Brian.
When was this announced?
I assume like Carrier and JCI they have yet to hit their tradesmen?
Grizzly
The office heard about it around lunchtime Friday.

I'm hoping that if they want to continue with their sales pitch of being the 'biggest' then they will have to keep the site workers otherwise it is all a bit of a sham.

Just hope that the shareholders enjoy their dividends :mad:

tony--1
20-12-2008, 11:37 PM

Is it just down to losing the sainsburys work after buying ambs then it going to a new company set up buy a couple of x sainsburys guys

yinmorrison
21-12-2008, 12:42 AM
As a small employer the way I plan to overcome this problem is to remain positive,optimistic and if all else fails, take a wage cut,move premises and endeavour to keep all my employees who are ' on the tools'.At the end of the day as a director and majority shareholder, it is not in my or my workers interests to be complacent or greedy,nor to continue with overheads that are not contributary to staying in business.At the same time I expect everyone to be realistic about what is happening at the present time and do their best in keeping a sensible approach to the effort required in staying afloat.

Spencer.Guy
21-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Is it just down to losing the sainsburys work after buying ambs then it going to a new company set up buy a couple of x sainsburys guys

Arcus (j.s new f.m group) is a joint venture J.S 53%, the other 2 I assume equal with the remaining 47% share.

Brian_UK
21-12-2008, 11:22 PM
As a small employer the way I plan to overcome this problem is to remain positive,optimistic and if all else fails, take a wage cut,move premises and endeavour to keep all my employees who are ' on the tools'.At the end of the day as a director and majority shareholder, it is not in my or my workers interests to be complacent or greedy,nor to continue with overheads that are not contributory to staying in business.At the same time I expect everyone to be realistic about what is happening at the present time and do their best in keeping a sensible approach to the effort required in staying afloat.I understand your comments and outlook 100% and sincerely hope that you get through this downturn successfully.