PDA

View Full Version : Bottle cooler faulty, Please help.

mcunliffe4
19-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Arrived on site this morning B/C high in temp, pulled out found suction in vac and ice on exposed capillary. Recovered refrigerant from cabinet. Cut out drier and blew through with OFN. Replace drier and vac out. Weigh in Refrigerant 275g R134a. Compressor discharging into cond inlet, refrigerant cond Ok, coil nice and clean. Suction pipe back to compressor not getting cold.Air Temp of Evap aprox 15 c suction pressure 18 - 20psi evap -8 c . B/C empty but taking forever to come down in temp. Any suggestions please, was thinking possible fault with compressor not pumping Air off Evap not matching up with suction pressure and temp. Noticed comp body very hot but did not notice cutting out on ovrload.
Thanx Guys

LRAC
19-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Think about it "you arrived on site and it was in a vacuum" so i doubt its a poor pumper. Remember most cheap bottle coolers are not designed for pull down just built for holding, in my years i have never found a system that took or indeed worked on the correct charge.

Rule of thumb for small capillary systems charge the system without the evap fan running when frost appears on the suction exiting the cabinet you have charged the system fully, pack your tools and walk away.

Kp3
19-12-2008, 08:48 PM
what's make of cabinet?

nike123
19-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Arrived on site this morning B/C high in temp, pulled out found suction in vac and ice on exposed capillary. Recovered refrigerant from cabinet. Cut out drier and blew through with OFN. Replace drier and vac out. Weigh in Refrigerant 275g R134a. Compressor discharging into cond inlet, refrigerant cond Ok, coil nice and clean. Suction pipe back to compressor not getting cold.Air Temp of Evap aprox 15 c suction pressure 18 - 20psi evap -8 c . B/C empty but taking forever to come down in temp. Any suggestions please, was thinking possible fault with compressor not pumping Air off Evap not matching up with suction pressure and temp. Noticed comp body very hot but did not notice cutting out on ovrload.
Thanx Guys

When you ask for help in troubleshooting, you should at least do audit of system, and post full set of measured data.
For example:
Pressures
superheat
subcooling
air temperatures and deltas at evaporator and condenser
Current
Thermostat setting
full model name
etc..

LRAC
19-12-2008, 09:30 PM
When you ask for help in troubleshooting, you should at least do audit of system, and post full set of measured data.
For example:
Pressures
superheat
subcooling
air temperatures and deltas at evaporator and condenser
Current
Thermostat setting
full model name
etc..

You must be joking its a £ 300 quid throw away bottle cooler, by the time he's made those measurements and observations he's lost £ 200 quid earning on something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A diagnosis on this could be made within 10 min's without all of those readings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nike123
19-12-2008, 09:50 PM
You must be joking its a £ 300 quid throw away bottle cooler, by the time he's made those measurements and observations he's lost £ 200 quid earning on something else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A diagnosis on this could be made within 10 min's without all of those readings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he done just that without any diagnose!
Could you make sound diagnose from above data?
Why did not you responded him and tel him to throw away that bottle cooler, because it is not worth further effort?

LRAC
19-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Could you make sound diagnose from above data? YES

"pulled out found suction in vac and ice on exposed capillary" bit of a give away, but like my signature says i'm allowed to be grumpy.

mcunliffe4
19-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Alrite KP3 its an INFRICO u/c 2door bottle chiller.

FEISTY
21-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Most of the time, if ice on cap tube in one spot,usually showed block in tube where ice is. Try cutting out spot and patch braze with larger overcover of tubing. You could change entire length of tube but try fix first. Has worked 90% of time and doesn't take long.

Reflexive
21-12-2008, 01:12 AM
Most of the time, if ice on cap tube in one spot,usually showed block in tube where ice is. Try cutting out spot and patch braze with larger overcover of tubing. You could change entire length of tube but try fix first. Has worked 90% of time and doesn't take long.
Spot on, I say cut, remove half inch in either direction, then lay over with a piece of 3/16 after flaring each end the slightest bit. Will make it so you fill the braze in nicely into the flare, and the capillary won't have any trouble.

Kp3
21-12-2008, 11:46 AM
best just to change cap tube and put a 1/4 drier in not a pencil drier had loads of probs with these cabinets and found this the best way. also make sure cond clean it may look it but blow it out anyway

mcunliffe4
21-12-2008, 03:25 PM
cheers guys

WCC73
21-12-2008, 09:01 PM
As Kp3 said, i have also had loads of probs with these coolers,Had a comp go down on one on Friday.Said to the customer that i wont repair it.(tried a couple of pot changes on these cabinets and they never seem to work.I wonder if there is something going on with the capillarys/evaps.They seem to take an age to try to pull down, often comps running v hot before going out on klixon, and extreme high discharge temps.Its often one of those jobs that isnt worth the agro.

Reflexive
22-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Some of the time it can be an oil issue as well, they do not design them well and the oil coats the inside of the evaporator over time. It's not worth it to pump it down though, flush with R123 or Alcohol, then vacuum through cold trap and recharge.

coolhibby1875
22-12-2008, 11:59 PM
once you start pulling a vac with r134a you lift the oil from the sump of comp body which then waxes in the capilary you really must change the capilary but be sure to find the correct lenght and inside diameter