PDA

View Full Version : mould growth in wine coldroom

chilltech
18-12-2008, 04:28 AM
just wondering if any of you have some ideas on controlling mould growth in a wine cellar coldroom.i havent as yet looked at the coldroom so i have limited info about it.....room is currently operating @ 12 degrees c,and mould is forming on bottles in storage.just wanted some ideas before i head out there,any help would be great thanks

Gary
18-12-2008, 06:04 AM
In order to reduce humidity, given 12C room air, the air off the evap should be about 1C or lower. IOW, the air off temp should be about 11C below the room temp.

Tesla
18-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Hygene is what to look for and of course humidity. BOC offers a gas called bactigas - its co2 with a little teatree oil I think. But I think the wine cooler needs lower humidity and better maintenance ie clean the coil.

Refrigerologist
20-12-2008, 09:25 PM
You haven't told us what type of system it is, i.e. capilliary or TEV. Is it an off the shelf type system or custom design?

Is the evapoartor clean and air flow good?

The last time I had this problem it was due to a slight overcharge of a Qualitair wine cooler system with capilliary tube expansion device. The overcharge caused the air off to be a couple of degrees too high causing higher than required humidity and mould growth on the wine cases.

As Gary says check the air off temperature if it is too high it may be due to an overcharge of refrigerant.

Reduce the evaporating temperature by recovering a little of the refrigerant charge, then recheck the air off temperature. If it is cooler it will remove more moisture from the air.

If it is a TEV system you will need to check the valve superheat setting and refrigerant charge etc.